Sponsored by:

Replacement windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 10:13 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard C2S
To KNS: It depends on your carrier, the policy provisions and your state.
I realize that - sometimes you just need to ask your carrier. When I moved from AZ (where windshield replacement is covered) to CO (where my brother complained about how much he spends on windshields) I thought I'd be screwed. I asked my carrier and they added it. Yes, you pay a little extra in your premium but the amount was surprisingly small.

If I was going through a lot of windshields, a family with multiple cars, for example, I'd find a carrier that covered it. If your state has restrictions then I guess you pay up when the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-06-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:15 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Next time I am going with a good installer and whatever glass they recommend as most durable.
I feel your frustration and pain! However, I would be surprised to find out one manufacturer's glass is more durable than another's. In fact, there has been a massive global consolidation of automotive glassmakers. Many brands now being owned by Nippon Sheet Glass (NSG Group). In fact, with a 26+-year-old car being decades out of production and produced in relatively low volumes I would be surprised if there is even more than one factory making the glass for our cars.

Andy ;-)
Old 10-03-2020, 03:32 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
When I moved from AZ (where windshield replacement is covered) to CO (where my brother complained about how much he spends on windshields) I thought I'd be screwed. I asked my carrier and they added it. Yes, you pay a little extra in your premium but the amount was surprisingly small.
Colorado rock chips are crazy....there is a reason they call them the Rocky Mountains. I have Comprehensive Deductible with Glass through State Farm. Zero costs for windshield replacement or window rock chip repair. Zero harassment on replacing a window. One window replacement every few years and you are way ahead on costs.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:52 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^^ Yeah, I'm surprised what poor shape the roads are in CO compared to AZ. Not only that, the vehicle registration is more expensive than AZ and you pay every year vs every other year in AZ. They're not putting that money into road maintenance.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:43 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
^^ Yeah, I'm surprised what poor shape the roads are in CO compared to AZ. Not only that, the vehicle registration is more expensive than AZ and you pay every year vs every other year in AZ. They're not putting that money into road maintenance.
Nearby here in Virginny there is a large stone quarry with a slue of heavy dump trucks with bright signs on their asses stating "WORK VEHICLE STAY BACK 500 FEET" all around the area. They dribble a never-ending spray of road stones along all the highways and secondary roads in a 10-mile radius. The stones even pile up in intersections, a big hazard for motorcyclists.
I lost a windshield from a stone that bounced off one of these trucks into the adjacent lane, saw it bounce off the truck, and head towards me like a deer slug and into my 993. Followed him to his job site to get his information. He refused, I called the police who showed up, was very polite, but set me straight that I had no recourse. I licked my wounds and just had a new windshield installed. Have a dash-cam on my car now for the next time.

Andy
Old 10-04-2020, 12:30 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I feel your frustration and pain! However, I would be surprised to find out one manufacturer's glass is more durable than another's. In fact, there has been a massive global consolidation of automotive glassmakers. Many brands now being owned by Nippon Sheet Glass (NSG Group). In fact, with a 26+-year-old car being decades out of production and produced in relatively low volumes I would be surprised if there is even more than one factory making the glass for our cars.

Andy ;-)
thx good to know and makes sense. I wonder why all the posts specifying ‘be sure to get this brand of glass’?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:23 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

thx good to know and makes sense. I wonder why all the posts specifying ‘be sure to get this brand of glass’?
Can't speak to consumer comments. It would be interesting to discuss this with a glass buyer at a glass shop or a glass distributor.
Andy
Old 10-05-2020, 11:47 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I wonder why all the posts specifying ‘be sure to get this brand of glass’?
Because over the years, members here have had hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not more) in repair bills resulting from poorly molded aftermarket seals that are copies of the original extrusions and improperly fitted and fitting (aftermarket) windshields of unknown origin. And also because it is not true... The DOT number on the windshield will tell you the name & location of the factory where it originated from. Some are worse than others. Some are useable. Nobody can say with 100% certainty which windshields are and those that are not. What we can say with absolute certainty is that the aftermarket seals are a non-starter. If a 993 lives in warm climate and never see's rain outside of a detailer's shop. Does the owner really know? Not really unless they experience the squeak. If you can find a cheaper aftermarket Pilkington Sigla or Saint Gobain Sekurit windshield, go for it. Just make sure the installer follows the directions in the Porsche workshop manuals and uses the spacer templates.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Moved to new posting

Last edited by pp000830; 10-05-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacement windshield