Stonguard to the test

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:01 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Stonguard to the test

Well I just tested the Stonguard I had installed on my p-car two years ago...I hit a metal heat register which had already been flattened,run over by the car in front and to the side of me at freeway speed(65+) and rolled into my lane where it it landed upright just as I hit it to the right of my front plate. It tore the plastic Stonguard up all around the impact area on the front valance/grill and left about a 1.5 inch gouge on the nose. Just went to my installer and we assesed the damage...the Stonguard is shredded buy underneath there is very little paint damage. A little touch-up down low and nothing on the nose. We have to replace the Stonguard pieces and good as new. I am a true believer in this stuff now...It took one heck of a blow and protected the paint . If anyone is thinking about a product like this...go for it!
rcwelch
1995 993 Coupe
Rennlist Member #020604-2742
Old 06-27-2002, 03:32 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second that. Yesterday, I must've ran over some sort of object realy hard on the 91 toll road and I thought I had damaged my splitter, it turned out, a minor gouge on the front splitter but it shredded the 3M liner.

Last week, on the same toll road, a piece of wood came flying from nowhere and hit the front bumper, it shredded the 3M liner but it saved the paint.

So now, I'm thinking of avoiding that toll road at all after I get the bumper/splitter painted and a new 3M liner.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:49 PM
jamfish
Track Day

Question

Where can you get that 3M paint protection film or similar product applied to your car, in general? A window tinting place? Body shop? Ball park cost for a 993? Anyone know a specific place in Atlanta?

Thanks,
Old 06-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

OK, here's a dumb Stongard question:

What do you do with regard to cleaning/waxing Stongard? Does it acquire scratches/swirl marks in the same way paint does (and thus needs polishing)?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Brett
Old 06-27-2002, 05:44 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Brett-1996 C4:
<strong>OK, here's a dumb Stongard question:

What do you do with regard to cleaning/waxing Stongard? Does it acquire scratches/swirl marks in the same way paint does (and thus needs polishing)?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Brett</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wax them the same way I wax other part of the car. Prior of putting the 3M liner, I waxed the car.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:34 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my Stonguard at a body shop which was recommened by some people in our local PCA. I also confirmed this shop with our p-car dealer in Bellevue. I think the cost was $450.00 which included the whole front end,leading edge on the body air grill above the hood,both mirrors,both rear wheel arches,and material wrapped around the door edges and behind the door handles. I treat it just like paint and polish and wax as normal. My car is Iris Blue Metallic and you can hardly notice its there. It's GREAT STUFF!
rcwelch
1995 993 Coupe

Quick Reply: Stonguard to the test