Carbon Fiber A Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 01:46 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Robert Linton:
<strong>KC:

My understanding is that these pages are informational and people share interesting ideas and solutions. These baords are not a suitable forum to describe the engineering that go into components -- much the same as neither Porsche nor other manufacturers release technical drawings nor calculations. As to availablity and prices, these parts are not now available to the public and, if they become available at some point in the future, the channel(s) of distribution would not, I would think, include Rennlist as it was not set up for this purpose. Finally, should you and others rather I did not post what I thought would be pictures of interest, I will, of course, abide by your wishes. I do not, however, mean to annoy you and if I have, please accept my apology.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Robert,
I must disagree with one point, and that’s your point about describing the engineering that goes into components. Everyone on this board is a bit of a car nut or they wouldn’t be here. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect others agree: We enjoy learning a few tidbits about the engineering that goes into components for our favorite car obsession. No one expects a vendor to post trade secrets, technical drawings or give away the farm, either.
I guess another way to say it is I’d like to know a bit about what’s going on behind those cool pictures.

Tom
Old 05-18-2002, 06:59 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Thought you might like to see the newly developed carbon fiber floor boards installed as well as the reverse side of one which shows the weight removal work -- lighter, stronger, longer lasting and better looking than originals. Pedals, by the way, are machined billet titanium.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:17 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool stuff! Are there matching trailing arms?
Old 05-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

By trailing arms, which part do you mean?
Old 05-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing he's referring to the rear suspension -- but the 993 doesn't have trailing arms. It's a five-link rear suspension, entirely different animal from all previous 911s (in the area of rear suspension, anyway).
Old 05-19-2002, 08:27 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Mr. Henriksen:

That was precisely my point. Given this is the 993 Board, there is no trailing arm (aka banana arm, rear swing arm, etc.). In any event, in answer to JBH's question, yes there will be carbon fiber swing arms. To be precise, they will be carbon fiber with titanium spring plates, bonded titanium ends to mount the various components on either end and carbon fiber ducting to cool the brakes, outboard CV's and wheel bearings. As to the 993 rear suspension, that too will be available in carbon fiber/titanium.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:24 AM
pookee
Instructor

Question

Robert,
I was wondering, why is your strut brace is not adjustable?
BTW, speaking for myself, I enjoy all of your pictures, information, and anything else you post.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:35 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Ironically, it is the "adjustability" feature that makes the vast majority of strut braces virtually useless other than for cool decoration. The purpose of the braces is to add rigidity to the front of the vehicle. The adjustable units, built primarily because it is easier (read cheaper) to build this type of unit than one that fits precisely without adjustment, are less rigid due to the adjustment points. By the way, it is no accident that cars such as the GT2 Race Car and other high end Porsche race vehicles do not have adjustable strut braces.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Robert Linton:
<strong>Ironically, it is the "adjustability" feature that makes the vast majority of strut braces virtually useless other than for cool decoration.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The adjustment is there to compensate for variations in strut to strut dimensions. They are not decorative or useless.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:04 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Robert:

The carbon fiber and titanium parts are very interesting, to be sure, but what are they for? To my knowledge no one is racing 993 based cars professionally, and I suspect that the cost of such parts would be prohibitive to most club racers. Please don’t get me wrong, the work is beautiful, I am just curious if you are marketing it or showing the capabilities of your company’s fabrication abilities.

Hank
Old 05-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been interested in the same thing. I can only picture this development is a hobby, since there aren't any practical commercial applications that I know of.

I would think historic series are out, too; the 993's too new, and I can't imagine stuff this trick would be allowed in, anyway?

It certainly would be fun, though, to be able to create so many unobtanium replacement parts for your own car as a hobby!
Old 05-19-2002, 01:36 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

This is exactly why I asked Robert a while ago if he had an autoclave in his garage? Cool stuff, but not sure of the purpose?

As for the strut bar, perhaps the adjustability saps some function and rigididy from the item, but it certainly makes a difference none the less. I am sure a non adjustable CF piece from a GT2 would work even better, but for $15o, I am happy with the part and the difference it does make.

I will say that I love the pics, I just wish they were smaller to make the thread easier to view. Maybe make them a link as a thumbnail in the thread so we can link to the bigger picture in a new window?

E. J.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Viken:

Of course, the adjustments are there to compensate -- I was not suggesting that the adjustments are decorative or useless. I was, however, stating that, given the flex of a large number of commercially available strut braces -- particularly from the adjustability pivots -- many of them are little more than good looking decoration,
Old 05-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

As to the function of certain of the components in the pictures, they are being developed for several reasons -- including to demonstrate to certain audiences (not Rennlisters) what can be done and how quickly it can be done. Additionally, if a decision is made to offer these particular parts commercially, they would not be intended for a mass market -- as, indeed, neither are cars such as the GT2 street version, the Carerra GT, the upcoming Ferrari F60, Mercedes Vision SLR, etc. There are, however, certain entities and individuals who want the very best available -- if not, everyone on this board should be happy driving a Camaro. Finally, many of the parts will also be applicable to Type 996 as well as vehicles other than Porsche.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber A Arms