Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas on packaging wheels/tires for shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Duncan
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any ideas on packaging wheels/tires for shipping?

Hi Everyone,

Need to ship some wheels & tires. Has anyone done this before? Or can recommend any suggestions on how to pacakge the wheels & tires? Was thinking of facing 2 inward & strapping them some way. TIA
Old 06-26-2002, 01:15 PM
KC993
Racer

I had bought boxes from U-Hall, Boxes ECT to boxed them, one front with one rear and both faced each other with 2 pieces of cardboard in between. TRIPLE taped the boxes since they are heavy.

One more thing, make sure your boxes' dimentions are UPS shippable...
Old 06-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some wheels shipped to me. The seller bought the boxes at UPS and then stuffed them with bubble wrap, etc.

One tip would be to tape cardboard circles to the front and back of the wheel to protect the finish and also reduce the amount of bubble wrap required.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Exclamation

Duncan,

This is a hit & miss as far as UPS goes.

I shipped two sets of 4 (wheels w/ tires in fact) on the same week, to the same area...

Both were packaged/wrapped by making several "disks" from cardboard then placing said disks over the wheels on each side, then taping them well & adding a label (all that you could see was tire tread, just like Tire Rack ships).

Both made it to the destination w/o damage, but UPS charged me $5 per wheel extra on one of the shipments for not having them in a "square box."

I called UPS, and asked about that $20 sting. They said that a round object wont stay on the conveyer belt, so it has to be handled & put in a "tub" so the item can continue on the set course. I pointed out that a tire has two "flat sides" as well as a round side, and the shipment could therefore be laid down (the label was placed so it could be that way too). However, she failed to see the logic. Charge stood.

She went on to tell me that I could register for "special exception" on all my shipments, & that would get rid of this charge (Tire Rack must do this).

I have since shipped a few more sets, and I put them all in boxes.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:56 PM
jhb
Racer

I bought 4 tires & wheels on ebay and the guy used a shipping company, and placed the 4 wheels on a palate and wrapped them in plastic. Not sure what the cost was.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I did exactly what Michael B. did making discs out of doubled up heavy duty cardboard ("rescued" from the local Home Depot garbage ) and held them in place with some of the industrial cling wrap wrapped completely around the package and then bound with clear packing tape (both of these bought at HD).

Worked like a charm and the new owner and UPS were both very impressed with the wrapping. These were ZR-1 wheels/tires and so they were pretty heavy. The shipping via UPS ground was $28/wheel ($300/wheel insurance) and since I see my delivery gal all the time, she picked it up for me. I didn't have an extra $5 charge like MB though.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Any ideas on packaging wheels/tires for shipping?