Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 12:37 PM
C4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield

So spoke to the insurance company and looks like I can get that my winshield replaced in my c4s. I did want to install the Windshield Rope to quiet the squeaky problem. I searched the archives (since this topic has been covered over and over) but I keep finding different part #'s for the rope. Does anyone know which is correct?

Is it 993.541.225.01. or
" 996 541 903 00 Yes, it's a 996 part number. This rope was developed for 996's."

Also from the achives there seems to be a foam cord and a felt cord. Which works better and are there any other options? Part number?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:01 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric

I ordered the foam rubber cord part# 996 541 903 00 from <a href="http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/contact.htm" target="_blank">Schatz Motorsport</a> for my 96. Do not know about the felt option. I tried Pedro's ice wax first and it completely eliminated the squeak. Of course I couldn't leave things alone so I installed the rope and a strut tower brace. Squeak still non-existant. One note about the rope; it did not install as cleanly as I would have hoped. There were several places where I was unable to work in two layers of rope. If I were to do it again I would not do the rope. Do a 993 board search of Pedro's Ice Wax.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:22 PM
C4S
Instructor

Cary-

So it is a 996 part. Is the reason it did not install as cleanly perhaps that it is for a 996 (not a 993) or is it just difficult to work with? I will perhaps have the dealer put it in when they install the new windshield. I will also look into Pedro's ice wax, I heard that is a good easy quick fix, however, I thought the rope sounded a bit more permanent. Thanks for the help.

E
Old 05-10-2002, 04:52 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric

At least on my 993 the gap tolerance between the body and the trim frame (holds glass and outer seal) varied enough to make the specified continuous placement of two layers of rope impossible. Also there were weld spots @ the top of the A pillars that constricted things @ that point. I am not quite sure how the trim frame is attached to the body, seem to recall other board members discussing a double stick adhevise tape in refence to installing windshield glass.

I had two instances in the first 2 months of ownership where a minor drip occured at the top passenger side after torrential rainstorms. Since the rope has been installed this had not reoccured. There is a fairly generous cavity that the rope fits into and with the extreme flexibilty of the outter seal it is easy for water to enter this space. The rope does at least serve to minimize the volume of water that WILL accumulate. Funny that I never had a problem when washing the car.

Quick Reply: Windshield