993 Forum 1995-1998

Recommendation for Alignment in DC/Maryland area

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 05:12 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Recommendation for Alignment in DC/Maryland area

I have order the M030 Bilstein package from Gerts. I am planning to install it my garage and then drive to an alignment shop. Recommendation on any ones experiences with area shops would be appreciated. I hope I do not scrub all my rubber off as it is 70 miles to DC and there are no shops with Porsche experience in souther Maryland.

Jack
Old 06-25-2002, 06:01 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Where in southern MD are you?
Old 06-25-2002, 08:51 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Saint Inigoes, which no one has heard of!
Which is 3 miles south of Saint Marys City, 15 miles south of lexington Park or LeonardTown
Old 06-26-2002, 10:14 AM
Tom Trew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack - You can do a quick, rough alignment in your garage after you remount the suspension. It would certainly not be final, but close enough so you don't destroy your tires on the drive to the alignment shop. Just use a tape measure to check for toe by measuring to the insides of the rims in the front and back of each pair. You want them to be more or less equal. You can eyeball the camber, just to make sure you don't have a radical amount.

For alignment, I have always used Curry's, but they are way out in Ashburn VA. He has a nice laser machine he keeps well tuned, and has a guy who understands the 993 suspension (and doesn't mind me watching). Another good choice a little closer to home for you might be IMA Motorsports in Fairfax.

Changing out the 993 suspension is not a hard job, I have done it 4 times now. The trickiest part of the whole job is figuring out how to remove the inside toe link bolt on the driver's side. TIP - Jack the engine up slightly so the bolt will clear the heat exchanger.

Have fun,
Tom Trew

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Alignment in DC/Maryland area