Sponsored by:

Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 12:24 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Absolutely!

Since covid started, I'm not travelling and commuting anymore so I have been driving the blue one almost everyday... Errands, coffee meetups, random back roads to do some turns and go through the gears, amazon returns lol.

I was lucky to find a sorted driver and then modified the suspension to RS specs and coilovers to make it right for me. I tried a bunch of mods and ended up reverting some of the mods back to stock seats, stock exhaust, stock splitters, and raised the car back to RS+10. Kept my RS wheel, custom shift ****, and custom throttle pedal so I can heel/toe as those are the three things that make the experience great to be connected to the car.

The way I look at it, life is too short and we should enjoy and be grateful for what we have. Having a 993 as a daily is joy.

Last edited by samurai_k; 09-04-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
For the record, your flywheel should be inspected first to see if it needs to be replaced. I had a clutch put in at 80K miles kept the original clutch, I'm over 100K now and going strong.
Andy
I dont really need a clutch but the consensus is dried grease on the input shaft. So while the trans is out I am having it all replaced. Happy about it...no but I plan to keep the car a while.
The following users liked this post:
alsamrob4 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Again, I chose to make the upgrades at my expense. I could have just drove the car and yes my costs would have been very minimal. I am not a mechanic and don’t have the time to wrench on my car. Labor becomes a big cost. This includes all parts to date. When you get into Engine out service, Transmission Re-Gears “done properly“, RS Parts, Suspension, 30k service, check strap repair, full custom exhaust, headers and the list is long......... etc..... it adds up quickly with parts and labor. I have a running spreadsheet with all my invoices to back it up. Many out there make improvements to their cars, but cut corners and skimp. Exactly why Maintenance Records / History are key to these cars to tell the real story.
It appears you have the attitude that you'll do it once and do it right. Your signature speaks volumes. Nicely done. Kika has done the same. These 993s are keepers.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
It appears you have the attitude that you'll do it once and do it right. Your signature speaks volumes. Nicely done. Kika has done the same. These 993s are keepers.
Thanks Chuck. I am a passionate 993 owner and think the 993 is one of the best Air Cooled 911s ever produced. I can’t see me ever selling, so why not make it one of the best of the best to increase the overall driving experience.
The following users liked this post:
mike.cars (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:27 PM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Daily drive mine about half the year. My commute is short (less than 10 minutes) which is probably not idea but I just don’t care. If I only drove it long enough to let the engine reach “operating temperature” I would only be driving it twice a month! That is not really an option as either the 993 or my other daily needs to be stored off site. Valve guides are shot and probably were when I bought it 7 years ago, as it burns a lot of oil. In spite of that it drives great.
Prior to this I had a Boxster for a bunch of years. Honestly it was a fun car, drove great and I never minded parking it anywhere. But you can’t really compare it to the 993 even if they were sold side by side for a time...they are from very different eras!
Get the 993. If it doesn’t work for you after 6 months, sell it. I suspect that you won’t lose any money.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st State 993
Daily drive mine about half the year. My commute is short (less than 10 minutes) which is probably not idea but I just don’t care. If I only drove it long enough to let the engine reach “operating temperature” I would only be driving it twice a month! That is not really an option as either the 993 or my other daily needs to be stored off site. Valve guides are shot and probably were when I bought it 7 years ago, as it burns a lot of oil. In spite of that it drives great.
Prior to this I had a Boxster for a bunch of years. Honestly it was a fun car, drove great and I never minded parking it anywhere. But you can’t really compare it to the 993 even if they were sold side by side for a time...they are from very different eras!
Get the 993. If it doesn’t work for you after 6 months, sell it. I suspect that you won’t lose any money.
Amazing how long it takes to get the oil to operating temp even on a hot day.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver?