Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok to drive on slightly bent rim as interim...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:28 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy ok to drive on slightly bent rim as interim...

picked up some new so3's a week or so ago & found out my d-side (18'twists) were slightly bent.
this was detected during balancing them, one of the techs said he'd simply balance them the best they could, but that they were bent. he showed me & i noticed an ever-so-slight waver in the inside edge of both front & rear wheels... probably from a pot-hole.
(was a little bummed as i wanted to use this set for the track as i'll be prepping the car for some 'de' time later this year... but hey, cest'la vie)

i've since ordered new wheels & as i await delivery, i'm driving on the bent ones...
is this in fact, alright to do?
- i've also toned down my driving a bit just because i'm a little leary. but do i even need to fret though? as i drove on these for about 10k (car now has 26k) w/o knowing they were tweaked in the first place by the p.o.

also, by any chance does anyone have a set of frt & rears which they would like to sell ouick?

thanks for help w/ my probably 'stupid/lame' question.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:37 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

A slight wave in the wheel is nothing to worry about. As long as the bead is maintained, and it sounds like it is, you should have no problems. This is especially true if they can still be balanced. I have street and track tires that I have used for years that sound like they are a lot worse than yours, and I've had no problems. In fact, I'm wondering about the advisability of having them straightened. That would result in a round wheel that has been bent twice! The quality and composition of the wheels certainly has something to do with this. My Audi has snow tires on some Ronal wheels that are pretty wavey, but they have been that way for years. I have Kinesis wheels on track tires for my 993 that are slightly wavey, and I check them daily when on the track, but haven't seen any progression or air leak.

Chuck
Old 03-16-2004, 08:45 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks chuck... i'll relax a bit... the bead is fine. & sounds like i will still be able to use 'em for the track as well. cool.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

I drove about 400 miles on a bent rim once, not by choice as I was away from home. No problem if there is no crack, I suppose. I had the wheel repaired when I got home.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:01 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ok to drive on slightly bent rim as interim...

Originally posted by 24FPS
also, by any chance does anyone have a set of frt & rears which they would like to sell ouick?
Since yours are serviceable, not sure you're still looking. I've got a set of Turbo Looks which I just replaced w/'02 Carrera 5 spokes last week. NO tires, just wheels. Soon to be on R-list classified/eBay. PM/email if interested. Hi res pics available.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply: ok to drive on slightly bent rim as interim...