Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PPF on 1995 paint: pros v cons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:24 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

When Clearplex is applied to a windshield that might have minor stone chips or pitting - it seems that one would see air bubbles in those places?

For a new windshield yes, what about one that isn't?
Old 04-07-2022, 09:35 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,392 Likes on 605 Posts

Thanks Mike Cap for the valuable maintenance info!

We’ve only installed it on new glass. It sometimes has bubbles or distortion. The installer has done it in our garage, and also his shop. Some cars come out great the first installation. On one car it looked perfect.

In other instances he installed multiple times before it was acceptable. The film had imperfections that couldn’t be detected ahead of time. He only charged for one installation. If the imperfections are not in line of sight, I accept them. But this is one of the reasons I’d try Exoshield.

I was told the installer can ruin the application by using too much heat. Our guy is a master and an artist. His PPF skills are impressive. He is not a fan of clearplex due to the very tricky installation but he does it to satisfy customer demand.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:25 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Just to add a few data points using our experience:

Generally, original paint is well bonded to the surface below. Sometimes plastic panels (eg bumpers, carbon fiber) have a weaker paint bond than metal panels, but generally Porsche is very good. This is the key risk when removing PPF - that the PPF adhesive is stronger on the paint surface than the bond of the paint to the panel beneath it. With repainted panels the risk is MUCH higher that the paint's bond strength could be compromised.

A detailing shop can usually tell you quickly if you have original paint vs having been repainted. A paint thickness gauge will quickly reveal which panels are multiples thicker than the others. But without a gauge, you're looking for signs of imperfections that wouldn't have been original from the factory. Tape lines, overspray, paint texture differences, clarity of reflection differences, color variation, edge delamination, dust spots, birds eyes, etc etc etc.

These repainting issues are exactly why we believe so strongly in preserving the ORIGINAL paint. You can reset back to your pristine condition original paint and start over as often as you like - even after the car has seen years of surface damage. And there's no comparison in cost. A quality respray will be MANY times more expensive than the cost of PPF - and you don't have to deal with the imminent issues that are created by repainting. Repainting is never "as good as original" (unless you're investing in show-car quality work maybe).

So back to the original question: should I use PPF on an older car? Sure! If you're already considering repainting WHEN the car gets worn from sandblasting and chips, then the relatively low possibility of PPF damaging the paint when it gets removed shouldn't be a concern. You will most likely be fine removing the PPF if you choose to refresh it down the road and not need a repaint, but without PPF, your only option is repainting. No amount of paint polishing and touch-ups will restore a bumper or hood to the condition of the paint protected beneath PPF.

Hope this helps!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 04-08-2022, 06:21 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

My car shows better with a high quality wax on original paint
Old 04-08-2022, 06:33 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,392 Likes on 605 Posts

Thank you The Refinery for the insight!
Old 04-08-2022, 06:54 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Boom,
Installed Clearplex on my new front ws about ten years ago. Actually had my PPF guy come to my house garage and do it. Came out great and you can barely see it’s there.

Easy to clean with warm soapy water to flush the dirt and bugs away then I’ll use a quality cleaner like Sprayaway for a final cleaning. Small scratches can be polished out by hand with the Clearplex polish or a good quality plastic polish used on instrument faces. I use both when needed.

Highly recommend the Clearplex - mine has taken some stone hits that would have chipped the ws but just left little divots in the coating. Plus no more of the famous 993 ws sandblasting effect.

No issues with wipers in the rain at all. Water sheets off normally.

On sunny days if you wear polarized sunglasses in the cabin you may get some halo effect viewing through the ws. Not a big deal at all.

So overall I’d do the Clearplex on any 993 ws. It will extend the ws life and we all know what a PITA they are to replace.

Good feedback, thanks Mike!
Old 04-10-2022, 12:04 PM
carpete
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thank you The Refinery for the insight!
I share your suspenion/ride height comment and was wondering (although a sep subject really), what you ended up changing suspension set up to....feel my 993 could be more sorted and curious
what was done that also maintained original ride height....and approx costs?

Quick Reply: PPF on 1995 paint: pros v cons?