Sponsored by:

Seeking advice on a Kid Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anir:
First off, I think it's brilliant to begin teaching your children the basics so early on. Hats off.
Myself, I started karting (in Germany) at age 5 , and did so until age 8 ; stopped once my family moved from Germany to Manhatten. I actually "drove" at age 2 -- sitting on my mothers lap, and steering the car.
Anyway, your 6year old should be find, and even at 4 the younger one will be okay in a 50cc kart. Lots of my peers were very petite kids, and did fine even in the faster carts
Good luck.
Regards,
Hubert
Old 03-13-2004, 11:59 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seeking advice on a Kid Car

Originally posted by Anir
My wife and I want to buy some sort of trainer vehicle to teach Joshua (6 yo) and Emilie (4 yo) the basics of driving. Ideally, something built of metal with real rubber tires, a steering wheel, and gas/brake pedals. Gasoline engine prefereable over electric. Also, something that can not go more than 5-10 mph so that I can run them down if they get out of hand.

We would use it on the school's running track to begin with. Basically, we are looking for something to teach them the basics before letting them try the 50 cc junior karts. They both seem interested in "racing with Daddy".

Are we cool parents or what?
now yall be lisnen ta ol JimmyRobert ol bubba doc,

yall be gittin a riydin lawn mowerer fer wun o doz kidz. fer da udder, git em a pickem up truk ta karry shine.

yall put dem lil wuns ta werk now an yall kin reetired soon.

Yur Fren
JimBob
Old 03-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JimBob,

Now, look what you done done. You done scared off dem nice folks dat be tryin to help me wit der anser (man, it hurts to type like that!).

Hubert,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for sharing your personal experience. Kids are sponges and can learn just about anything better than an adult. For example, I speak only one language (Texan), and my 6-year-old son is learning French, Spanish, and Japanese. It's comforting to know that you're already dumber than your kid before he hits 1st grade.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:13 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Anir, my son is 6, just like yours. Looking at his motor skills and at other kids doing carting at local autocrosses, I think it's time.
In my case, unfortunately, it has to wait for a year or two as I have no place to work on or store a cart, nor a way to tow it (although in theory I could install a hitch on CSP Miata and use it as a tow vehicle). I suggest you visit a local SCCA autocross with both kid and talk to parents of carting kids there, you'll get a much better feel for the scene.
BTW, my kid is available for adoption along with me, so...
Old 03-14-2004, 04:56 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey OldGuy... something like this? They only head out for special occasions.

Last edited by motion; 07-09-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:11 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

get a golf cart. we had them when I was a kid and they are great in a neightborhood, safe, high visibility, pretty slow, they probably are able to be governed, can't remember. yamahas are very durable, club cars the best. when I got older, I would see the other kids still running them and I would yet at them not to drive with both feet...can't do that with a kart.

they are usually street legal within 1-2 miles of your home as well. used ones are pretty plentiful.

the worse danger is falling off the back seat (where the club used to go).
Old 03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason,

Good idea, and we could use a golf cart since we just bought 10-acres on which to build our final home in a couple of years. However, I'm pretty sure that my munchkins could not reach the pedals. Their feet would not even reach the floor.

Anyone know of something that's relatively safe (i.e. slow), built out of metal with rubber tires, gasoline powered, and true-to-form (i.e. operated via a steering wheel, brake pedal, and gas pedal). We saw a Hot Wheels kart at Sam's for $500, but passed on it because the gas and brake levers are mounted on the steering wheel.

Still trying to be a cool pop.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hate to sound crazy on this, but why not build a go cart with your kids. Find a cheap Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine and an old go cart or maybe a kit. If you need help finding an engine let me know. My uncle in Winchester has a small engine and lawn mower repair shop. He has even built a couple go carts for his older nephews.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:08 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Anir,

Wish I had the answer for you, but when you find it out please let me know. My wife wants to do this for our little girl (not quite born yet) a little later.

I agree with you guys about the dirt bike. I got my first one when I was 9 or so and kept on motorcrossing/trail riding until I was about 15. It was a blast and makes the transition to street driving and a stick shift easy.

Good luck Anir.

-Skip
Old 03-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

I might take you up on this, but was hoping that there was something I could buy that's already done. Also, I still worry about it being too fast. Maybe, I could fit some sort of restrictor on it.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Anir

I might take you up on this, but was hoping that there was something I could buy that's already done. Also, I still worry about it being too fast. Maybe, I could fit some sort of restrictor on it.
I will probably see my uncle this week. I think Lowe's and even Ace Hardware had some go carts. Also check the newspaper classifieds. A restrictor is easy, You can do it at the gas pedal with a block of wood or similar and you can limit it at the engine as well.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:42 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I have a '74 Carrera. I never used the brakes, don't know why Joshua or Emilie would have to?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

Your '74 might be better suited for teaching them how to wrench!
Old 03-16-2004, 01:14 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Well its not a 993 but what can you do:

http://shop.mobileation.com/s.nl/c.A...it.A/id.825/.f
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Seeking advice on a Kid Car