TUBE NEXT TO ENGINE OIL FILTER

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TUBE NEXT TO ENGINE OIL FILTER

HI All

So decided to change the oil in my 993 4s today. All went well until I tried to take off the engine side filter which wwas jammed into place. Not having the Porsche tool had to drill nuts into the sides and turn it like that, (installed by Porsche centre in Berlin????)

Any way in the process one tube next to the filter began to disintegrate as it was obviously aged..literally turn into powder, showing its coiled metal wire center.
Any one know what it is any what is the part number for it. You can see the new oil filter in the background for reference.
Also noticed some major pain in the A== Clips holding each end of the pipe to the plastic pipes at each end. would appreciate any tips on putting these back on as I found them very tricky to take off.

Shredded pipe

Thanks
B

Old 07-05-2020, 12:58 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey there.
I think you are referring to the hose/tube assembly that runs from the trans bellhousing to the air filter box (I think you specifically mean: item #11 below). This is the bellhouse/clutch breather assembly I believe.

BTW, below shows 'normal' worm drive clamps on either end of hose #11. Mine did not have worm drive clamps, they were spring clamps with two protruding tabs where you use a Tongue&Groove Plier to squeeze the two tabs of the spring clamp together thereby making its diameter bigger so you can slip it off. Release the two tabs and it clamps back up....

Here is the PET, hope this helps.
Cheers

Old 07-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Thanks Limeyboy, Think you are roght as I was sure it had to carry air. Great, but I think I will replace the pain in the A== clamps with those above.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:01 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree only air, no real pressure differential .
Old 07-05-2020, 04:19 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Some folks just eliminate the pipe and put a screen over the opening.
The upside of eliminating the pipe is if you happen to be a little hard on you clutch one doesn't
  • Suck clutch abrasives into the intake filter housing, some of which can get past the filter as I have seen what seems to be a gray abrasive material deposited on the airflow sensor behind the filter and also;
  • The smell of a hot clutch into the cabin through the HVAC intake behind the engine fan.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 07-06-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:30 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

10 years ... no tube and no screen. Just avoid gravel roads 😁
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM
nrubenstein
Instructor

FWIW, this tool will make your life a lot easier for removing the oil filter:
Amazon Amazon

It actually grips the filter case, unlike the stupid cap type "wrenches."

It'll take off any filter that isn't so stuck on that you have to rip off the case and get to the nut inside the filter. (BTDT)

Quick Reply: TUBE NEXT TO ENGINE OIL FILTER