Sponsored by:

Differences between FD SSK and Rothsport SSK for a 993 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 06:07 AM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Differences between FD SSK and Rothsport SSK for a 993 C2

I am looking at enhancing the "shift feel" and reducing the "throw" for my 97 C2. I like to maintain the "stock look" of the interior of my car, so I will not be replacing my shift ****, shift boot cover, etc. with a different one. I would like to know the pros and cons of each so that I can make an informed decision. For example, what is the exact throw difference between the two (how many inches?), the height difference between the two, shift feel between the two, etc. Any information would be much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:57 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

If you are referring to the Rothsport one which integrates the shifter and the shift **** as a machined aluminum piece, you will not retain the look of the OE. You will need to go down the path of a SSK from FDM.

Here are both
https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/p...-short-shifter

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/p...hort-shift-kit

Both are great, but different.

I would also budget the goldenrod since you are "in there"

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/p...fdm-golden-rod

Old 07-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
If you are referring to the Rothsport one which integrates the shifter and the shift **** as a machined aluminum piece, you will not retain the look of the OE. You will need to go down the path of a SSK from FDM.

I would also budget the goldenrod since you are "in there"

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/p...fdm-golden-rod
There is a version of the Rothsport shifter that allows one to use the factory shift ****...

https://www.rothsport.com/Products/T...rt-Shifter.htm

I'm curious too, as to whether or not they "feel" different, all other things being equal. The Rothsport shifter certainly looks very solid, but that comes at additional cost.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:22 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

I have mentioned this before. I know Jeff, go to Roths[ort often, have seen his units, felt them, and talked to him. His is for 2wd only, while Darin's is for either. Jeff has a version, like Samurai and Ivan mention, where you can use your own ****.
There is a significant difference in the linkage between Rothsport's and Darin's, Rothsport is more direct, objectively tighter in its feel, something which is impossible to accomplish given our 4 wd setup.
I have Darin's ssk, and GR on my C4S. I know Darin and have met, and not disparaging marvelous FD Motorsports or him!
The following users liked this post:
Reg Liyanage (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 02:05 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Ah, did not know that! I have the all in one unit.

As a fyi... The FDM ones are an "upgraded" OE RS shifter. Darin modifies the OE version to replace the shift rod with a solid spherical end instead of a plastic bushing that the OE one uses.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:05 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

Great information. Hopefully, this thread will help others in the future in making an informed decision between the two set ups.

To sum up information from this thread as well as others:

1) Throw Differences, Rothsport mentions that their throw is 1 inch less on their website. I have read on one of the threads that the FD throw is about 20% less; so about 2 inches. Is this assertion correct?

2) I have also read that the FD height is 1 inch lower than stock, what about Rothsport set up (using the stock shifter and ****)?

3) FSA mentioned that the feel is "tighter" so more precise shifts for the Rothsport? Does tighter mean more effort to shift, or it tracks better through the gears, or both?

4) If one were to shift very quickly, which set up would be better? Will the tighter feel of the Rothsport slow down the shifting speed?

5) I have also read that Rothsport is MUCH more difficult to install which is a by-product of the more precise setup (much tighter tolerances). Is this a correct assumption?

6) I have also read that even though the Rothsport is double sheer, the actual feel is very similar to FD ie. not much difference to account for the much-increased cost of the Rothsport. Increased installation time for the Rothsport may be an additional hidden cost difference. Is this assumption correct?

Last edited by Reg Liyanage; 07-04-2020 at 06:46 PM.
M. Schneider (07-05-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 08:52 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

This is important to figure out:

FSA mentioned that the feel is "tighter" so more precise shifts for the Rothsport? Does tighter mean more effort to shift, or it tracks better through the gears, or both?

If one were to shift very quickly, which set up would be better? Will the tighter feel of the Rothsport slow down the shifting speed?
Old 07-04-2020, 10:48 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think that any of these options actually allow one to "shift faster". I think it is more about the feel, and sense of precision. At least, that was my experience based on upgrading to the RS SSK with the FD Golden Rod.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:10 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Reg Liyanage
If one were to shift very quickly, which set up would be better?
If you want to shift very quickly, get a PDK 991. It's a manual transmission, it shifts pretty much as fast as other modern manual transmissions. You are limited here not by shift linkages or bushings but by how manual transmissions work -- syncros, etc.

In general I think you're overthinking this. The various parts you mention all do pretty much the same thing, improve the shifter feel. That's about it.
M. Schneider (07-05-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 11:23 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

@Ivan J Great info. it is nice to hear from an actual user of the Rothsport SSK and the FD Golden Rod. I assume you are happy with the set up and have no regrets. Questions:

The throw length, are you happy with it?
Was the installation of the Rothsport set up difficult?
Would you pick it again over the FD set up if you had to do it all over again?

I will be pulling the trigger tomorrow hence the detailed questions. Thanks for your response.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

@fsa You seem to prefer the Rothsport set up over the FD based on your response. Have you tried both and prefer the Rothsport set up?

I understand both setups are good. There is a significant cost difference, but I do not mind spending more if Rothsport has a noticeably "better" feel, or some other noticeable advantage. Which one has the shorter throw in your opinion? Either way, I will be purchasing the FD Golden Rod with the SSK. Thanks for your response.

Last edited by Reg Liyanage; 07-04-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:41 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

@samurai_k I intend to get either set up with the FD golden rod, that is a given since it is a great product from the reviews I have read.
If money were no object which of the two would you pick? And no one has yet answered the question about which one has a shorter throw? Was your installation difficult? Thanks for your response.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:44 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

@Churchill Acknowledged. So it is all about the "feel", which is important. Which of the two has the better "feel" in your opinion? Thanks for your response.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Dude, just buy something. They're both quality products. Your life does not hang in the balance of this decision.
The following 4 users liked this post by Churchill:
rgupta250 (09-01-2020), stevensivak (08-01-2020), Tarek307 (07-05-2020), woohoosocal (08-04-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 03:25 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
I have mentioned this before. I know Jeff, go to Roths[ort often, have seen his units, felt them, and talked to him. His is for 2wd only, while Darin's is for either. Jeff has a version, like Samurai and Ivan mention, where you can use your own ****.
There is a significant difference in the linkage between Rothsport's and Darin's, Rothsport is more direct, objectively tighter in its feel, something which is impossible to accomplish given our 4 wd setup.
I have Darin's ssk, and GR on my C4S. I know Darin and have met, and not disparaging marvelous FD Motorsports or him!
Darin's SSK is not the same exact part for AWD and 2WD FYI..

Quick Reply: Differences between FD SSK and Rothsport SSK for a 993 C2