Sponsored by:

AC Compressor strut replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:18 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default AC Compressor strut replacement?

Can the AC Compressor strut (brace) part #993 126 128 00 be replaced with the engine in the car?

I had my 993 out for smog inspection yesterday, and while it was good and hot, I gave it a little exercise. Running it up through the gears with the AC on for the first time in a good while, I noticed a vibration/noise that wasn't there before, and which went away if I turned the AC compressor off. When I got back home I inspected the AC compressor and found the bolt that anchors the strut to the compressor was missing. Further checking with a flashlight located the missing bolt with its washer intact. Attempting to replace it disclosed that the threaded hole in the brace was stripped. I may have done this myself, reefing down too hard on this bolt when I replaced the belts. (At 77 I still don't know my own strength).

I installed a slightly longer bolt with a locknut, and it secures the brace nicely, but the nut is a real PITA to access. I'd like to replace the strut, if it is doable with the engine in situ, rear of the car on jack stands.

Anyone have a good used strut?

Old 06-25-2020, 04:15 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello Bobby, I had a longer bolt with a rectangle Alu that I drilled and threaded, since 2003, after having stripped 2 new struts. The strut thread is like butter.
Changing the strut already was time wasting.
Square piece of alu 2.5cm x 4cm x 6mm IIRC

Last edited by geolab; 06-25-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:31 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi George,

Thanks for the very useful response. I think I will leave well enough alone for now. The bolt and locknut I have in place are high quality, not likely to fail, but will be fiddly to change if I ever do again.

I do have some alu stock of similar dimension, so I will make a piece per your suggestions to have on hand...
Old 10-03-2021, 04:19 AM
seinan
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question AC Compressor strut mount

Hi. I got the same issue. Understand it needs to be fastened in the support bracket on the ac compressor.

But can anybody explain the reason for the strut? Functions beside support on tension/vibration? I am working on battery leakage in the car, and tries to understand all findings of deviations and faults I come over. Appreciated.

And do anyone have a picture/instruction of the diy on new bolt and alternative nut @geolab and @BobbyT discussed. Understood the rectangle Alu part, but is the "threaded" to secure the nut not flying around in the engine bay next time loosening up again? Thanks for helping out!
Old 10-05-2021, 11:45 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I think I have a used strut if interested still.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor strut replacement?