Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem w/ Convertible Top Going Down

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 11:00 PM
AustinL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In retrospect, I would definitely agree with you.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

Got everything ripped apart,took about an hour. hardest part was separating the cable from the carpet/foam with all the glue. Looks to me that that the squarey end you refer to that goes into the motor on the driver side has been chewed up compared to the other. I took the trans apart on the same side and everything looked okay. I will order the cable tomorrow. I am concerned with getting the gears aligned properly when I reassemble the unit and may have to ask what you had done in the past. I will keep you posted.
ps.
hn,
Was this the same side that went bad for you?
Old 07-18-2002, 02:19 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your problem is exactly like mine. I just wonder what caused it though. Mine was caused by the locating pin poking through the fabric on one side preventing the top from going up. If i had stopped trying to raise it, the shaft's end wouldn't be chewed up so badly.

Ken, check your email about engaging the gears.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 PM
jhb
Racer

hn, I am here, but you seem to have a handle on things. As for realigning the top, I have written detailed instructions in previous posts, just do a search on my handle.

I know for a FACT that all Cabs have two motors, and if the dealer says otherwise, well, find another dealer. The motors are direct connected to each other so they will ALWAYS turn together.

I may be a cynic, but I do not trust dealers. I have been quoted over 4k in repairs on two cars that was never needed. The dealer would rather throw parts at the problem then diagnose and fix, it is faster for them, but not economical for you. When my top broke, I spent $140.00 to get an estimate of 2k, and it turned out that my cable spun out from the trx (similar problem as you guys, but my cable did not need to be replaced). They wanted to replace 1 motor, and one trx, and neither part was the problem. I diagnosed it myself (as a rookie mind you, never done it before) in 1 hour! I cannot afford that kind of service!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:53 PM
jhb
Racer

hn, if you have pictures of the trx, maybe we should write up our findings and submit to Robin Sun's site for posting. There seem to be alot of posts about the top each year.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:04 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

JHB,

Finally you're here. I thought about writing up a procedure and contact Robin but i thought the top has too many parts. And when things go wrong, it's very difficult to tell where the problem is. Beside, i don't know everything about the cab top's operation. That's why i usually don't go into the details until the person is willing to explore the components like Ken. If you can think of a procedure how to trouble shoot I am willing to be your assistant. I have the picture, more like a diagram from the dealer, and if you need it to do your write up or for anything else, i'll fax to you.

About the your post on aligninng the top, I copied it and sent it to Ken.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:06 PM
jhb
Racer

Hn and Ken, how clear did you find the description for aligning the top?

Did you guys also notice the "pop" as the gears set in?
Old 07-18-2002, 07:08 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

JHB,

I was actually expecting to hear that per your post but didn't really hear anything that loud. FYI, i had the gears engaged while the transmission cases were opened.

I didn't have to realign my top but I saw what you mentioned in your post and am sure that i'll have no problem realign my top.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

Smile

hey guys,
I was hoping to get my cable today but the Porsche warehouse did not send it so I will have to wait until tomorrow . The dealer is going to pick up the overnight cost so my entire cost will be about $150. Hope i can remember how to get the thing back together- hn, I may need your weekend phone number
Old 07-19-2002, 02:41 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ken,

check your email
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 PM
itismyself
3rd Gear

'95 993 convertible black

I seem to have a similar problem, but I my case the convertible top moves for about 2 inches and then the fuse lows out (No. 13 in the fusebox, 30A fuse.) You put in a new fuse and the same thing happens all over again. I checked the convertible top control unit and their solder joints, and they seemed to be fine. Any ideas what could be wrong with the roof?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Dana JR South
3rd Gear

I have a 1998 cab. My top is stuck half way up. It wont move either way. I can't find the top computer control. Can anyone tell me where it is. Thanks Dana
Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Note to self: "Disconnect cab motors and convert to manual operation - pronto!"

Quick Reply: Problem w/ Convertible Top Going Down