Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing Door Seal difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Door Seal difficult?

My drivers door lower seal has a hole in it, is it difficult for a DIYer? Where should i purchase the seal?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:43 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you mean the one-piece seal that goes around the entire door opening? If so, this job is not technically difficult, but can be a royal PITA if you are not patient. Pulling the old one out is easy. Removing the old adhesive requires adhesive remover, preferably 3M. If you don't remove the left-overs the new seal won't fit quite right (You'll have to slam the doors, but I guess it would at least be tight...). Putting in the new seal (using 3M adhesive) is pretty easy too, just take your time.

I bought my door seals at Pelican Parts. I'm not sure, but I think the adhesive came from Pep Boys.

Jason
Old 03-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another tip to add to Kim's instructions.

When you dry fit the piece, put use some masking tape to line up the seal with the area on the door. That way, you'll know how far to stretch the seal as you are putting it in.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about:

Click for larger pic...

And here are some more general pictures of the DIY: http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/gallery/album111

And getting the old adhesive is a royal PITA. On the first door, I tried really hard to get it out, and cleaned it down to the paint. On the 2nd door, I just remove all the loose pieces.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a private message about this, so here is the updated link in case it might help others...

http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/ga...g2_itemId=9864
Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M
Do you mean the one-piece seal that goes around the entire door opening? If so, this job is not technically difficult, but can be a royal PITA if you are not patient. Pulling the old one out is easy. Removing the old adhesive requires adhesive remover, preferably 3M. If you don't remove the left-overs the new seal won't fit quite right (You'll have to slam the doors, but I guess it would at least be tight...). Putting in the new seal (using 3M adhesive) is pretty easy too, just take your time.

I bought my door seals at Pelican Parts. I'm not sure, but I think the adhesive came from Pep Boys.

Jason
As Jason says it's a fairly easy but a little time consuming job. Check w/ Sunset Porsche for the OE gasket and 3M Weatherstrip (in black) from Pep Boys or Auto Zone ect.

Be glad you're not doing the gasket on a cab, it's one solid piece going from one door all the way across the top of the windshield frame (as the cab top seal) and back down the other side and around the other door. On top of that it costs ~ $400! DHMHIK

Quick Reply: Replacing Door Seal difficult?