Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried the new Pirelli PZero Corsa

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 08:00 AM
geortarga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Has anyone tried the new Pirelli PZero Corsa

I am trying to decide wich tyres to put on my new cargraphic 18" racing wheels. I am torn between the Pirelli Assymetrico and the Rosso but i saw an ad on the Corsas and they look incredible. I dont know however if they are Porsche aproved or if they are excellent tyres for street and a little track. Has anyone tried them?

Regards Nick
Old 06-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Not tried them but they are really a track only tire that can be driven on the road to and from the track. We've been seeing some really good things about the Michelin R tire recently. You may want to do a search in the archives
JM
Old 06-23-2002, 12:03 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Nick, I was ready to buy the Michellin Pilot Sport Cups but I was told by the dealer that the tyre is for the track and it is not built to withstand potholes or heavy street use and I would be in danger of destroying the tyres on the street. He said going from home to the track is ok but he would not really recommend this either!
So since I do not have a set just for the track yet I bought a new set of Assymetricos as I have good experiences with this tyre in the past.

I had spoken with a guy in France during a Porsche track event and he had on the P-Zero C which the Corsa replaced. He said that it was an incredibly sticky tyre and would use no other. I must assume the Corsa is a step above.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nick,

The Corsa is a street legal R-compound race tire similar to the Michelin Pilot Sport "Cup" and some others already discussed here. I imagine that they perform extremely well in the dry but likely to be somewhat lacking in the wet department. If you want a good street tire, however, go for the P-Zero Asimmetrico which is somewhat close to the Corsa is performance. I wouldn't touch the Rosso with aten-foot pole. It is a newer tire made for comfort, fuel economy and longer wear.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, except for the Hoosiers, street legal R-compound tires are perfectly suitable to be used on a daily basis. Their carcass construction is very similar to other street tires and most of them are steel belted. I personally know many people running the Pilot Sport "Cup" on the street without any problems.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:49 PM
geortarga
Advanced

Thanks everyone. I am probably going to give the Corsas a try. I am only interested in a dry weather tire since this is the weather we get here in Greece and i never drive the car when it rains. We also have verry slippery roads and it makes me wonder if a tire with a larger amount of tread touching the road is better or worse on a slippery road.Hmmmmm!Any opinions on this?Difficult decision because our roads are not as good as the roads in America or other counties for that matter. Michelins are too tough, SO2's discontinued and Pirelli sticky enough an warm up quickly enough.As soon as i decide i will post the results.! Thanks
Old 06-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick,

I have been running the older Pirelli P-Zero C's on the street for my daily driver without any problem. The dry traction is light-years ahead of the S-02s and S-03s I previously used, and I've had no problem in the rain either. I imagine the newer Corsas are excellent, and I plan to try them once the P-Zero C's are worn out.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:19 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts
Hi Viken:

I am considering the Pilot Sport Cups for a combo track/street tire. I do 4-8 DEs a year, and about 5-6K miles/yr on the street.

1. How do your acquaintances/friends report the Michelins perform in the rain on rear wheel drive cars? Anir likes his P-zero C tires, but I wonder if all wheel drive has something to do with their adequacy in the rain.

(I don't often drive the 993 in the rain these days, but would want to be confident in one of GA's sudden deluges...)

2. What kind of mileage do they get overall? 5K? 8K? (semi-aggressive street, hard track driving)

Thank you!
Old 06-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris,

I also tried the P-Zero C for a little while and drove them in light rain. I purposely did not slow down and felt they were much more than adequate unless one hit standing water.

As to the Cup's, it seems that Michelin kept in mind that many would like to keep these tires on their cars and I heard that they are also more than adequate in the wet. Also, I am told the the 80 treadwear makes a lot of sense as the tire is holding-up quite well but I'm not sure if anyone has had enough miles on these to report on tread life. In short, this tire reportedly has almost as good a grip as Hoosiers, performs great in the wet, last longer than most R-compound tires but it is not cheap.

For more info, Greg Fishman posted a write-up by Oliver Zitman in this <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000246&p=" target="_blank">thread</a>.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken,

The Michelin Cups sound great. I wish they made them in 245/35-18. Some of the improved traction and handling I have experienced may be due to going up two sizes in width up front.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>The Michelin Cups sound great. I wish they made them in 245/35-18. Some of the improved traction and handling I have experienced may be due to going up two sizes in width up front.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anir,

It was reported that the Cup's 225/40 has a tread width equal to or wider than most 245's including the Hoosiers. It is my guess that this size would work perfectly on your 8.5" fronts while you still maintain the 285's at the rear.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Viken:
<strong>Anir, It was reported that the Cup's 225/40 has a tread width equal to or wider than most 245's including the Hoosiers. It is my guess that this size would work perfectly on your 8.5" fronts while you still maintain the 285's at the rear.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Viken,

Your post got me to do a little research. Section / Tread widths are listed below:

Pirelli P-Zero C
- 245/35-18: 9.65" / 9.45"
- 285/30-18: 11.22" / 10.24"
<a href="http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/pzeroc.htm)" target="_blank">http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/pzeroc.html </a>

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
- 225/40-18: 9.2" / n/a
- 285/30-18: 11.4" / n/a
<a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport+Cup)" target="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport+Cup </a>

So, it looks pretty close, with wider Michelin Cup widths size for size compared to the P-Zero C as you suggested.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:24 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Anir,

It's interesting to note the widths of the P-Zero C's 225/40 size:

Section width: 8.86"
Tread width: 8.27"
Old 06-23-2002, 07:28 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Viken:
<strong>Anir,

What are the widths of the P-Zero C version of the 225/40-18?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry - forgot to post them:

P-Zero C

225/40-18: 8.86" / 8.27" (Section width / Tread width)

Big difference to the Michelin Cup 9.2" section width, aye?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry, I didn't realize you had posted a link to Bob Woodman. So, I went and looked them up myself. BTW, in contrast, the Corsa's sizes:

225/40: 9.25" section width
285/30: 11.34" section width

Looks like the Corsa is much closer to the Cup. Something I suspected before.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the new Pirelli PZero Corsa