Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance. Dome Lights won't go out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 10:23 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Default Need some guidance. Dome Lights won't go out.

The dome lights in the center rocker position don't go out when I am in the car running or not with or without the alarm set with the fob.
Has anyone else had this happen where their dome lights remain on and what did you do to fix it?
  • The alarm LEDs in the door flash properly when armed in single slow flashes, but the dome lights stay on.
  • I just added a new switched power outlet to my dash thinking I may have disturbed something or it may just be a coincidence..
  • The only thing I can think of that I could have possibly disturbed is the alarm wire to the radio chassis that should be insulated, not be grounded has somehow touched ground.
Any guidance would be appreciated..
Andy

Old 06-04-2020, 05:27 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't remember which way the switches on the door pillar work, but you could have a wire broken off the back of one of them. Not sure if depressing the switch makes or breaks the circuit, but it's clearly linked to the operation of the interior lights. Anyway, the wire had come away on mine and resulted in a random alarm trigger issue. However, I can't recall whether it affected the interior lights.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

^^^. The door switch signal wiring is the first place I'd look, too, especially since you were just in there doing wiring. Not sure if the door signal wire runs anywhere near where you were working but you would have had to short it to GND to make it look like an open door and activate the dome light.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:31 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Hey Guys thanks for your help, the problem seems to have resolved itself.
First of all the problem was that both frunk & the cabin lights remained on. The glove box and engine lid lights operated normally.
This is what I did:
  • Open the frunk and then took a screwdriver and forced the latch into the closed position,
  • Opened the engine lid and forced the latch into the closed position.
  • Checked that the glove compartment light turns off when closed, it does and I left it closed.
  • I unplugged the frunk latch switch pigtail, no change, I plugged it back in;
  • I removed the frunk light fixture and the lights all went out.
  • I check the glove box and it was still working properly so I knew I didn't blow a fuse pulling the frunk light fixture, as it is easy to do.
Now everything works properly.
I can only guess but I think a less than good connection to the frunk light bulb may introduce noise to the system fouling up it's function;
or
The switch in the frunk latch was sticky from old lubricant and it came free;
or
There is an intermittent partial ground with the wire going to the frunk light in the hood that righted itself when I disturbed the wires pulling the fixture out for inspection;.
or
Some component in the controller has an intermittent problem.

I may never know, but,
It reinforces my saying about car repair 'It's smarter to be lucky and it's lucky to be smart!"

Andy ;-)

Last edited by pp000830; 06-04-2020 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
paddlefoot64 (06-04-2020), The Eagle (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice trouble shooting.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance. Dome Lights won't go out.