Armourfend Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Armourfend Question?

After searching the archives I have one question remaining.

Does anyone know if there will be any damage to the paint should amourfend need to be removed? This is assuming it was applied to fully cured factory original paint.

I read where someone had used 3M adhesive remover, but I don't think it said specificly whether or not removal caused any paint damage.

Thanks, Ron
Old 06-22-2002, 03:31 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
It shouldn't cause any damage when removed; it's applied within nothing more than a mix of alcohol and water.

I had it applied to my 2001 Boxster (black) when it was still on the showroom floor. It protected the paint, and really wasn't very noticeable until you were a couple of feet away, when the seams were visible (black is probably the worst color to put it on).

However, the film itself begins to show nicks and pits that would have otherwise been in the paint, much as the stoneguards on the 993 do. So the car will start to show its age irregardless.

It's interesting; I had an imperial red 95 Mercedes SL-320 with 30k miles and that paint didn't have so much as a nick anywhere. Mercedes paint, at the time, must have been a heck of a lot harder than Porsche's.

Vic
95 C4
Old 06-22-2002, 03:49 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron I have removed my rear quarter panel pieces and replaced them twice in the 2.5 years I have owned my car - no paint damage what so ever.

Vic, The water and alcohol mixture is used to position the piece on the car - once the water evaporates and is squeeged out - the glue from the plastic holds it in place - and this is pretty strong adhesive.

E. J.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:12 PM
bigbpainta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one of the reasons P-cars stonechips and nicks show up so much is the white primer that is used.

Quick Reply: Armourfend Question?