Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to obtain a replacement Key Code?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 PM
kdorsey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To somewhat recap some of the discusison here, am I to understand that if the immobilizer has been replaced, the code registered originally with the vehicle (easily found by the dealer on the PCNA computer system in less than 5 minutes) will NOT match?

I've had an almost identical situation to swmic...car came with one remote/key that's now tired and old. Two replacement remotes and one additional key were purchased at the local dealer. The service mgr attempted to program the new remotes, but ran into trouble. He wanted me to leave the car for a full day to solve the problem. Figuring he was just trying to fleece this new Porsche owner (especially since I didn't buy it from him), I took the parts home and attempted the procedure myself. He was kind enough to print out the Technical Bulletin (#9501) to ease my suffering.

Being VERY careful to follow the instructions, I never get the telltale "flashing" of the Immobilizer Warning Light, signifying the time to enter the code. Is there only one unit shipped with '95+ 993s? Nothing special between '95 and '97? I know of the '94 model difference.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be quite appreciative.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:07 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Kerry,

I was suprised to see this old thread from about a year ago. I finally was able to get the 4-digit code from a different dealer with proof of ownership. I also programed my new remote but it took a bit of work. I remember having sort of the same trouble not getting the final flashing. What I had to do is perform the procedure from inside the car with the window down and a key in the outside door lock and one in the ignition. I don't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head, but the lock/unlock part I did reaching out and using the key in the door. I remember setting off the alarm if I was not in the car first. I know it sounds kind of strange but it was the only way I could get it to work. Once I did get to the final stage, things went fine and I have not had to do it again. I don't know if this will do the trick for you, but make sure your neighbors aren't watching if you try it.

Shawn
Old 02-21-2005, 12:20 PM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viperbob, you need to get a better service center or dealer. I bought a new remote for my 993 at the local Porsche dealer in Virginia Beach, VA and they programmed the new remote and re-programmed all my keys. The service manager was able to look up the code in the computer. Someone is telling you guys a crock of doo doo!

Quick Reply: How to obtain a replacement Key Code?