911 993 anti-lock breaks need to be reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:00 PM
Mikeycarguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 993 anti-lock breaks need to be reset

Hello all,

I have a 1995 993 that unfortunately has been neglected for a few years. I've been fixing it up but slowly due to the costs. The other day my suspension failed so I decided to replace them with Bilstein PSS10's. To save money I did the install myself. I used some step-by-step instructions I found here which were super helpful for the install. Everything went great EXCEPT now my ABS isn't functioning. I disconnected the break lines as they need to be fed through brackets on the new struts. After disconnecting them I bled the front breaks. At no time during the bleed did I run out of breakfluid and thought I did a pretty good job. Right after reconnecting the battery and firing the car up the break-light indicator popped on as well as the ABS light. I confirmed that ABS was not functioning by doing a quick break check (briefly smoked the tires). I tried to connect an OBDII sensor I had laying around to see if I could reset the computer but it was unable to connect. I also tried to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to see if it would resent the computer but that didn't work either.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to keep from going to the shop! This is my first time doing some real mechanical work myself and hope that success here will give me motivation to try other things in the future!

Thanks all,

Michael
Old 05-05-2020, 11:17 AM
IainM
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 236 Posts

A 993 compatible scan tool would be handy to help diagnose but I’d guess you didn’t hoook up all the speed sensors and/or brake wear sensors correctly. The connectors are mounted to the shock strut in cylindrical plastic clamshell clips
The following 2 users liked this post by IainM:
Kein_Ersatz (05-05-2020), Mikeycarguy (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Mikeycarguy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by IainM
A 993 compatible scan tool would be handy to help diagnose but I’d guess you didn’t hook up all the speed sensors and/or brake wear sensors correctly. The connectors are mounted to the shock strut in cylindrical plastic clamshell clips
Thanks for the advice. I've been suspecting that as well. I found a thread here that talks about the break sensor plug and agree that's more than likely my issue ( https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nsor-plug.html ). When I was reinstalling the connectors I didn't see any markers that would indicate which sensor plugs into each port. If I happened to cross them over, is there a way to find out the correct orientation of the plug in the clamshell clip?
Old 05-05-2020, 03:29 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Hi Mikey,
  • Since the only thing you touched was the wheel ends I would unplug each wheel sensor and spray it out with electric motor /electronic cleaner and plug it back in.
  • In case it is a coincidence the ABS relays do fail, the ones on the sidewall of the frunk next to the tire under a black plastic cover, they are inexpensive.
  • The brake pad sensors are an unrelated system and have their own light. The only way I could see them being related is if one mixed up and switched the plugs for the sensors at a wheel end although I would suspect they are of a different design and simply can't be plugged into the wrong socket.
  • Finally, if you opened up the brake system by detaching the calipers there could be air in the ABS pump system that could conceivably cause an ABS fault although I'm not familiar enough with the fault system to validate that this is a possibility.
  • Only an OBDC Reader that is capable of reading the Porsche proprietary ABS module codes will report ABS trouble codes. The most common commercially available enthusiast product being Durametric.
Hope this helps,
Andy
Old 05-19-2020, 12:47 AM
Mikeycarguy
4th Gear

Thanks for the advise all,

I was able to jack up the car this last Friday and take a better look at the connectors. The right side looked good. I bought some electronic cleaner and gave it a good spray and wipe just to be sure. I moved onto the left side and stupidly enough I did happen to cross over the connections. As soon as I reconnected them, both ABS and break light went off. Tested the breaks and ABS functioned properly.
Thanks again for the help! I'm sure this won't be my last post!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:19 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts

I love a happy ending.

Should give you confidence to carry on with the car - they are great to work on!

Quick Reply: 911 993 anti-lock breaks need to be reset