Sponsored by:

Cab top squeak/adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:50 AM
D.G..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab top squeak/adjustment question

This may be long, so please bear with me. Hardtop owners may want to hit the 'back' key now...

There are two pins that protrude from the front lip of the Cab top and seat into sleeves right above the sun visors. The one on the passenger side is slightly misaligned. The tip of the pin strikes near the edge of the hole, and then slides into the hole. The pin on the driver side is aligned perfectly.

On the side that is misaligned I have installed one of the old style pins from the '94/'95s. These pins are made of a single piece of forged steel (?), and are not Teflon coated. There is about .060" clearance between these old pins and the ID of the hole. I have one of the new style pins from the '96/'97 on the other side. The new style pins only have .007" clearance between the pin and the hole, look like they are made from aluminum, and are Teflon coated. I used one of the older steel one on the misaligned side because I thought (still do) that the Teflon would disintegrate due to the misalignment.

I do not want to mess with the alignment, because I have never had a problem with the top other than this squeak, and a I don't want to tempt fate.

When I go over a pothole there is a squeak from the driver side pin location. This is the side that is properly aligned, and has a Teflon coated pin with very little play. The side that is misaligned doesn’t squeak at all.

On the side that squeaks there are two places near the guide pin (points of contact between Cab top and plastic on the windshield cover) where the paint has worn through, presumably because of the lateral motion of the top.

I have adjusted the anchor plate, bringing the top down farther when closed. This solves the problem for a while, but eventually the weather seal and plastic parts that make contact settle in, and the motion and noise come back.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Does anyone have any idea how to fix it without potentially causing more serious problems?

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:55 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you checked the alignment of the motors that raise the top? They are secured by 3 undersized bolts, and I found mine to be loose and causing quite a bit of a problem.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:31 PM
D.G..
Instructor

I don't think it is one of the motors, but I will check anyway. It is related to the locking mechanism.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:31 PM
D.G..
Instructor

I don't think it is one of the motors, but I will check anyway. It is related to the locking mechanism.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:12 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There are also some cables that run inside the top, anchored on the rear sides and going up to the front corners...one of mine snapped, and it is mildly out of alignment...I need to fix it, but isn't causing huge problems...

Quick Reply: Cab top squeak/adjustment question