Sponsored by:

Lexus LX470

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have had no problems at all buying a LC. In fact part of me likes the more understated nose treatment and the name. What I did find though was that the $8k price difference Peter mentions new narrows pretty dramatically used. I'm told this is to be expected - many potential users prefer the relative simplicity of certain aspects of the LC (suspension being the big one).

I do like the interior of the LX, and coupled with a $3-4k price differential and the fact that the LX I'm getting has the Lexus certified warranty pushed me to the LX. And I do get a kick out of the heritage part I like the fact the car is a variant of a car that has been around for 50 years - kinda like my 964!

Again - I really appreciate the responses - ain't Rennlist great!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:58 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

88clbsport,

I agree that it's probably semantics. Considering the suspension, "rebadged" might understate the difference. However, implying that the LC/LX is like a Cayenne/Toureg is inaccurate. Those are significantly different vehicles on a shared platform.

If I come across a bit adamant, understand that I've had to patiently listen while my wife's friend who doesn't know an airbox from a glovebox prattle on about how her LX is not just some crappy Toyota, how it was not Japanese, and how the headlight fluid and cross-drilled brake lines are far superior.

Ruairidh,

I'd pay the $3K difference for the warranty alone. On top of that you are getting the unbeatable Lexus service experience. Sounds like a great deal.

You are gonna love that thing. My LC has 60K miles of the worst possible kind, lots of short trips, lots of off road mud and rocks, scrambling up rocks in low range with all diffs locked, plowing through deep snow and salty roads, thousands of miles of gravel and Texas dust, packed with wet scuba gear, children and dogs, towing stuff up steep grades at altitude, etc. and aside from scheduled maintenance, the only other thing that ever happened was finding out that some animal ate part of the firewall's sound deadening material during a camping trip. Even the paint only has a single minor chip (aside from a few off-road induced scratches). Why the hell can't our p-cars have paint like that???

Quick Reply: Lexus LX470