CEL after Gas Fill Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts
Default CEL after Gas Fill Up

All,

See attached. Car threw a CEL (never happened before) about five miles after a fill up. My hope is that it was the gas cap but not sure given the code (P0130). I took screen shot and cleared it. (Also removed/replaced gas cap.)

Opinions/knowledge welcome.

As always, thanks in advance.
Tim in Nashville

Old 04-21-2020, 02:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Hi Tim,
Unrelated to fuel fill.
P0130 = HO2S Sensor behind TWC (catalytic converter) cylinders (1-3) (left side of car) Signal implausible / Implausible Component Section / Malfunction.
  • I would unplug the sensor's electrical plug on the left wall in the FRUNK and clean its plug. Plug it back in, clear the CEL (Check Engine Light) and see if it returns.
  • If it returns, replace the after CAT oxygen sensor on the driver's side of the car.
  • If the sensor is the original one I would just replace it. It cost $60 to $80 if purchased from an online discounter such as eBay or Rock Auto and is an easy DIY to replace. The Bosch branded ones are the same as the original ones installed in your car or purchased at the dealer in a Porsche box.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...2)+sensor,5132
The easiest way to replace old oxygen sensors is to use a little penetrating oil on the bung (threaded mount), let them sit overnight, cut the wires to them and slip a closed-end boxed end wrench over each sensor and tap it loose. After the new ones are fully screwed in, using care not to twist its wire pigtail use the old, previously cut, wires to fish the new wire up to their plugs in the engine compartment matching the plug color black or grey to the same color socket on each side of the engine bay. It helps to remove the sheet metal pass-through rubber grommets in the engine tin first. They are easy to put back in position once the wiring is all in place.

Andy
Old 04-21-2020, 02:33 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

^^^Thanks Andy.

How urgent a fix is this? I'm guessing it is probably messing with mixture assuming it comes back. I'm about 1K before my next oil change and I'd just as soon have it done then.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
^^^Thanks Andy.

How urgent a fix is this? I'm guessing it is probably messing with mixture assuming it comes back. I'm about 1K before my next oil change and I'd just as soon have it done then.
The after CAT sensor simply measures the effectiveness of the Catalytic converter, it doesn't do much other than this. Waiting for your next servicing is probably ok for this reason.
Andy
The following users liked this post:
tstafford (04-21-2020)

Quick Reply: CEL after Gas Fill Up