Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003 | 03:12 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Post HID Conversion Question

A friend of mine just did an HID conversion on his 86 Carrera. He bought the components on e-bay.

He was going to do a conversion on his wife's Lexus, but the car was totalled in an accident.

So he has two DS2 Xenarc bulbs and two Philips igniters and wants to give them to me for the conversion. He claims that I do not even need the H1 adapters as the gap of 1mm would not be a problem.

Does this sound right. He showed me something off the internet which said it could be done quite easily.

If this is not the case, does anyone know where I can get the converters for the bulbs for the H1 fitting?

Thanks,
Hal
Old 01-27-2003 | 03:42 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Hal,

AFAIK, the D2S package will not fit into the H1 headlight assembly. Even it it did, the positioning of the light source within the headlight is very important to create the right light pattern and projection. So it would very likely not work.

I have spent a lot of time researching this topic and I have yet to see a conversion kit for the bulbs alone. They tend to be sold as complete kits with new H1 bases already attached to the D2S bulbs.

You could however use the existing igniter/ballast units and get your own converted HID bulbs with H1 bases already attached. If you did that, You would still have the issue of matching the electrical connections. This is no trivial matter as with 12V electrics. The HID system uses an ignition voltage of somewhere around 25,000V, so robust high-voltage water-proof cabling and connectors are essential.

My advice? Sell the parts you have and put that money towards an H1 HID kit from somewhere like <a href="http://www.autolamps-online.com" target="_blank">http://www.autolamps-online.com</a> Much simpler and safer.

HTH, Graham
Old 01-27-2003 | 05:00 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Graham,

I was hoping you would provide me with your expert advise since you have invested much time in researching these issues.

I agree with your recommendation and I would feel a lot better just going with autolamps kit.

Best regards,
Hal
Old 01-27-2003 | 05:13 PM
MIK911
Pro

I drive a '86 911 w/ H1's, and am interested in converting to real HID's. Is it an easy swap with the kits available? Any ill effects on the beam pattern off H1 lens?

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-28-2003 | 03:41 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Mike,

By "real HIDs" do you mean a Litronic upgrade kit from Porsche?

I expect that the kit is self-contained and complete, but to be sure email Gert at <a href="http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm" target="_blank">Carnewal</a>
Old 01-28-2003 | 01:19 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Hey Graham...

Do you think you could do a write up on the available lighting options available for the 993 faq site??? Everything from upgrading halogen bulbs to HID options.

Please email me at jchan@mywhine.com if you are interested.

Jeff

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Question