Sponsored by:

Old HID conversion - replacement globes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:12 AM
a_bru
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Old HID conversion - replacement globes

Hey all, one of the headlights in my UK spec ‘95 C2 has blown and I’m trying to find a replacement. I’ve discovered a HID conversion was done sometime a while ago it seems, maybe early 2000’s. I’ve chatted with the usual spares shops here in Sydney and they don’t appear familiar with the type of bulb I have. In particular given its an integrated arrangement, not just the bulb. Can someone please help me to know what I should be looking/asking for?

Here’s a pic that might help. It looks like the bulb and black wires have been cut/joined at point A..? Also, curious what the grey bits and point B are.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, BRU.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Trying to fix an existing kit is probably not the way to go.
A replacement kit is available from Tore with wires that are short and make for a clean install.
Bergvill FX HID Kit
Generic kits are also on eBay, you will want one with the slim ballast to fit the entire set-up inside the lamp pod.
eBay Kits
The wires are a bit longer in these kits so the pod will be a bit stuffed once you have completed the job.
I would bench test the kit by firing it up once before installing it in the car as the bulbs & ballasts can sometimes arrive DOA right out of the box.

Cutting and shortening the high voltage wires as the previous installer did on your car can cause functional problems with grounding leakage at the splice that can cause the bulbs to not ignite. You can try to solve your problem by reinsulating the connection with high voltage shrink wrap, although the likelihood of success will be low.
Also, new bulbs sometimes have a burn-in period where for the first few uses they do not ignite every time and one needs to turn them off and back on for both headlights to light-off. This issue seems to disappear as the headlights are used.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 04-13-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:46 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts

Given the age I would personally just replace it all with a new set up. Chances are that version or model is no longer made anyways. That might be the reason for the splice, PO bought a new bulb and the connectors did not fit so they spliced. The gray things could be Canbus related, so as not to show a bulb out error on newer cars, model years 2000 or so.

I would first try a kit from Tore (which is currently out of stock). So then the next option is ebay or so. Awhile back I had bought a VVME kit that was $40 and never had a problem with it on my old '04 VW Passat. I don't think that brand is around anymore either.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Quality HID kits are available from The Reftrofit Source in Atlanta, Ga. They also make a fantastic bi-xenon 993 retrofit kit, comes complete with all hardware needed. HID in that bi-xenon, and an LED in the normal high beam location...add their high beam splitter harness, and you’ll have more light than you will even need.

The grey bits look like somewhat fancy connectors from that bulb, back to the igniter harness. Whatever you do, some simple wiring may be needed.

Quick Reply: Old HID conversion - replacement globes