Sponsored by:

suspension tuning in dallas

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:45 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension tuning in dallas

so what's the best place in dallas to get a new suspension put on and to get it tuned? i just picked up some moton clubsports for $2699 ... with pss9's runing close to 2k it was an easy decision.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:09 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas. Talk to Cliff.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
mark911
Advanced

Here are my reccomendations. Top 100 list of 993 mechanics.

1. 911 Enterprises in Dallas. Excellent work with my PSS-9's.
2. ED Mayo at Mayo Performance is in Bedford, a little closer to Fort Worth.
3. Autoscope did a nice allignment job for me recently.
98. Jiffy Lube.
99. City Garage.
100. Boardwalk Porsche.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Now Mark, that's a little harsh. What I've learned is that you need to know what to ask for, at least that was my problem. Let's face it, no one is really proficient with 993's in the DFW area. I mean no one. There are several mechanics that can set them up properly, you just have to know what you want.

Karim, if you've got a compressor and some tools, I'm sure I can help you install the system. It's not that bad, now that I've done a couple. Then, you can take it to whomever you want to tune it. I can also give you some recommendations for settings, ride height, etc,. Shoot me an email and at least I can get you going in the right direction.

George
Old 03-08-2004, 05:08 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Mark911

As far as Mayo Performance, last time I talked to them they didnt even have the proper machine to align a 993. When was the last time you used Boardwalk Porsche?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Karim,

I use Boardwalk. As George says you have to give them specific instructions but if you do their work is fine. At least as near as someone with my skill level at driving can tell.

I have had several accomplished instructors drive my car at MSR and they are generally very favorable about the setup. I have PSS-9 and RS bars.

I do have one complaint - they generally resist me when I talk about corner balancing - and suggest it's not that important (i.e. if you measure the ride height correctly and set it properly you'll have good balance anyway). Oh - and while the alignment is a fixed $169 the corner balancing and setup will cost you the hourly rate - $115 an hour these days and I would expect 3-4 hours.

I have many good experiences with Boardwalk - but then I'm good friends with several of the guys in the shop there so YMMV.

Ben
Old 03-08-2004, 09:14 PM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

thanks guys ..... ben what's ymmv? george i don't have a compresser or any tools but .... this maybe a good time to buy some basic stuff. i'll email you anyway to get some pointers. have you guys heard about bobby archer german autoworks. they apparently tune 993s but they race vipers almost exclusively. maybe those cars are fast ... but gaaawd they're ugly
Old 03-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Don't know of anyone who's used Bobby Archer for 993 tuning - they sell a lot of good stuff but it's typically at a premium in price.

I agree with George - there's not a really good 993 shop (I mean a real stand out) and in the absence of such a shop I feel most comfortable at the dealership where I know that some of the techs are quite proficient in 993's.

Ben
Old 03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Karim, about the best advice I can give is to come out to MSR on the 27-28th and ask the people around for opinions. It's a BMW event but most of the instructors and some participants will be from the PCA. I'm sure everyone will give you slightly different opinion but at least you can get a general feel of what's out there.

Now for my rant, installation is easy (if they have any experience) but the setup is never perfect. I’ll clarify; the setup is so subjective that expecting perfection on the first try is futile. I’ve gone through several setup changes in the past couple of years to finally settling on a setup that’s perfect for my use (mostly track).

George
Old 03-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

George,

I know what you mean. I actually had the car aligned to RS spec last time around (I had a 'good buddy' track alignment setup prior to that courtesy of Bob) thinking that if Porsche got it right with the RS setup that should be good enough for me. The only thing that's better about the RS setup (at least with PSS-9's and RS bars) is moderated rear tire wear.

I've got to dig up those old alignment specs from Bob and have it set back. Main difference was a lower ride height and thence more camber (-2.5 all 'round). Or perhaps I should just go to camber plates, monoballs.....
Old 03-09-2004, 10:58 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Karim,

What spring rates are you going to run?

You will also need a good installation place that do the fabrication for the accessories on the front, and to be able to mount the remote reservoirs.... You are not in Kansas anymore and these are not PSS9s. These are a much more complex install.

I run my Motons with 800 / 1000 springs. Works well with my turbo and AWD. I also run -2.3 f / -2.5 r on my camber. Also, your lower ride height needed for these will be pretty low. You may want to consider EVO uprights and RS tie rods. I am getting mine soon as I have bump steer with this setup...

Last edited by viperbob; 03-10-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:35 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

im going to run 600 and 900s of the hypercoils 5 inches in the front and 6 inches in back of the 2.25. lex the moton rep thought it was overkill to get the thrush washers and bearings and the deeper collars. viperbob im almost crazy enough and i love my car enough to drive to ca to have you install them.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:16 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bob, just curious but what fabrication is needed for the installation of the Motons? That will probably be my next setup, currently running the TRG RSR (or whatever its called) setup with 650/800 lbs springs. Besides drilling a hole for the remote reservoir, what else is needed in the front? Where do you place the rear remote reservoir, lower control arm or in the engine bay?

George
Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Karim - I installed some tall Smart Racing products spring collars in front along with thurst washers. These work fine. It is relatively cheap and you don't want them to go together and find out the the springs go BOING at low speeds when you turn. I buy the thrust washers and steel shims directly from Motion industries. The cost is about $30 to do both front struts. Well worth it... Smart Racing products just sells the same thing for $45 a side.

George - I run the rear remote reservoir inside attached to my rollbar. Running them in the engine compartment is not the best place. The reservoirs are filled with compressed nitrogen (you also get to learn about adjusting pressures on these too) so if you put them where there is a heat buildup they will change how the shocks feel as the reservoir heats up and the nitrogen pressures builds. There is a rubber plug in the sheet metal from underneath that comes out right at right at the rear of the seat cushion. I just used this hole to feed my line through.

The front struts have no brackets for mounting the ABS pod or the brake line. Lex at Moton said they were going to make them at some point, but until then you will need to fab up some brackets and mount them to the struts. I used some sheet metal and some hose clamps to keep them on. Not a big deal, but it adds time to the install.

The fronts are simple and just drilling a hole gets them in the trunk area and attached to the strut bar.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:51 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Listen to Bob here. I just had the Moton Clubsports installed and my mechanic could talk to you for an hour about the experience. Not only are the parts more complex, but you should keep in mind that you will be a guiena pig for Moton as we are the first customers for these products. You will need a mechanic that is comfortable with custom fabrication and has the experience to do things "ad hoc". I have no experience with Boardwork Porsche, but I would personally advise you go to an independent with race/custom suspension set-up experience and that has worked with Moton products in the past.

Quick Reply: suspension tuning in dallas