Sponsored by:

Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:19 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

The reason it may not be offered in North America is it supports Digital Audio Broadcast, a standard not used for HiFi in the US. We us HD Radio standard in North America for HiFi radio. Just a minor feature but it indicates it is not targeted to our market.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:25 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

Yep, that's what I speculated as well in my opening line.

Standard FM is just fine as personally, I never listen to radio broadcasts. On the occasion that I actually listen to music in the 993, it'll be from my iPhone. Otherwise, this will mainly get used for navigation via my iPhone and bluetooth calling. The real music is in the flat 6 anyway. Aesthetics and bluetooth were the main driver of my purchase. Beyond that, just "sit there and look pretty".
Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Did it connect into your cars harness or was rewiring needed...or better yet, did you use an adapter harness?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I do not think he has installed yet. I am interested in the installation process as well...
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

You can use an adapter harness, I think Tore has one, or you can just do 3 simple taps yourself using spade connectors to the factory harness. +12V, ground, and switched +12V. Tore has the wiring diagram for the factory harness on his website and the Blaupunkt comes with a harness with clearly labeled bare wire ends.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Thanks. I'll ask tore.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 AM
4dRennwagen
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you for posting about this radio, especially the photos! I have also had my eye on it vs an updated Porsche Classic radio. All I ever use is Bluetooth streaming so it’s hard to justify the increased $$$ for PCR.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:17 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tuto993
I do not think he has installed yet. I am interested in the installation process as well...
Correct, it just showed up. I currently have my entire interior removed. Will be installing it in the next week or so. My install will be a bit of unique situation (or not?) in that I'm dealing with existing wiring that is already a hodgepodge of hacked up wiring, which originally consisted of hi-fi sound package with DAP.

Originally Posted by 4dRennwagen
Thank you for posting about this radio, especially the photos! I have also had my eye on it vs an updated Porsche Classic radio. All I ever use is Bluetooth streaming so it’s hard to justify the increased $$$ for PCR.
No prob... I figured there would be interested. I know I was clamoring for it before making the purchase and couldn't find much.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:43 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Auto
newbie question: would it be a direct swap with a CDR-210? any other things to note while installing?
Originally Posted by TheBen
Did it connect into your cars harness or was rewiring needed...or better yet, did you use an adapter harness?

I took a look at the pinouts today for the stock wiring harnesses and here is the scoop:

- If you don't have the factory hi-fi sound (with Nokia amplifier) then you can simply plug in the stock ISO power and speaker hardnesses. No adapters are required at all. The only difference is that in the power harness pins 2 & 3 are swapped (No Connection & Telephone mute). I doubt anyone would have a use or care for the telephone mute connection, so the fact that it is swapped with a terminal that has no connection, wouldn't harm a single thing. Just plug in both harnesses and move on or if you care enough, swap the pins in the stock harness.

- If you have the stock hi-fi sound option and are still using the Nokia amplifier, you plug in the stock power harness (per above) and you can buy this RCA to DIN adapter from Bergville: https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...n-din-rcaphono You connect the RCA's to the preamp outs on the headunit and the other end plugs into the stock DIN cable which takes the pre-amplified signals to the Nokia amp. Done.

- If you have the stock hi-fi sound option and are bypassing the Nokia amplifier, you plug in the stock power harness (per above) and then you can either "roll your own" bypass or buy this from Bergville for the speaker connections: https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...3-hi-fi-bypass

Last edited by boomboomthump; 02-04-2021 at 12:59 AM. Reason: clarity
The following users liked this post:
NEK (05-07-2021)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:45 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Just ordered one and the hifi adapter from tore. Thanks! I had a Porsche classic radio new in box but sold it to Rudy (opo)!🙃
Old 04-23-2020, 05:16 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Yep, that's what I speculated as well in my opening line.

Standard FM is just fine as personally, I never listen to radio broadcasts. On the occasion that I actually listen to music in the 993, it'll be from my iPhone. Otherwise, this will mainly get used for navigation via my iPhone and bluetooth calling. The real music is in the flat 6 anyway. Aesthetics and bluetooth were the main driver of my purchase. Beyond that, just "sit there and look pretty".
I am awaiting arrival of mine this week to install in my 993. Funny coincidence as I too am in NJ (Westfield). I have an ugly early-2000s Kenwood in the car from the PO and can't wait to see what the wiring situation is when I pull it. Hopefully, not a mess. Thankfully, my car came wired with an amp mounted in the frunk and high quality cables so it should be plug and play from the pre-amp outs. Once I bought the head unit and had to wait for delivery from UK, I got a little antsy and decided to do some other audio upgrades. I just upgraded the old Alpine amp (which had a blown channel) to a Focal amp and installed 4 inch Focals in the rear (I have a cabrio). I am likely going to install a set of Focal components in the doors to replace old Boston Acoustics components, but figure I can hold off until I am replacing the gaskets on my door handles and mirrors when the weather gets nice. I may also place a small powered sub under the passenger seat for a little bit of low end. Speakers in doors will run off amp, rears off the head unit to keep the original wiring for rear speakers, and sub (if i do it) is powered so just use the sub out from the head unit. I will update as to install process and post some pictures when I get everything done.

One question, any recommendations regarding where to place the mic to get decent call quality in the cab? I was thinking on top of steering column or maybe near rear view mirror.

Last edited by OJM; 04-23-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-23-2020, 05:38 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

I plan to place mine on top of the steering column. I'm also installing Focal components in my RS style door cards. Crossovers under the passenger seat where the Nokia amp was located (removed). Speakers powered by the head unit. Rear speakers have been deleted. I'm not looking for much audio quality personally. Just need something for some filler music at stop lights and for some navigation/phone calls via bluetooth.

Still haven't installed the stereo. I've been at a bit of standstill for a few weeks waiting on some deliveries to get my carpet reinstalled and then dash and stereo. Finally got my new pedal for my TIG welder yesterday, so that means I can replace the rear seat pivot (PO removed) this weekend and then get cracking on the soundproofing reinstall and carpet. Should be ready to roll once we're all out of COVID-19 house arrest.
OJM (04-27-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 05:07 PM
spanishfly
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed two of these, one in my 964 C2, and the other in my e28 M5. Love the looks, sound is very nice, its really what I was looking for!

But I have an issue: its seems that I can only pair one the these at the time to the bluetooth of my iphone! (iphone 11)

If I pair the set in the 964 to my iphone via bluetooth, then I can’t pair the one in my M5! And vice versa...

To make it work, for example, I need to erase the BP 46 bluetooth connection stored in my iphone that I made in my 964... then start a new pairing connect in the M5... etc etc

Any advice? Thanks
Old 04-27-2020, 01:54 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spanishfly
Just installed two of these, one in my 964 C2, and the other in my e28 M5. Love the looks, sound is very nice, its really what I was looking for!

But I have an issue: its seems that I can only pair one the these at the time to the bluetooth of my iphone! (iphone 11)

If I pair the set in the 964 to my iphone via bluetooth, then I can’t pair the one in my M5! And vice versa...

To make it work, for example, I need to erase the BP 46 bluetooth connection stored in my iphone that I made in my 964... then start a new pairing connect in the M5... etc etc

Any advice? Thanks
I would try changing the bluetooth pin so it is different on each headunit. There may also be a menu item to change the bluetooth ID name on the head unit. If one or both are different on the two headunits, it should solve the problem. My car is under a cover in a garage or I would try looking in the bluetooth settings menu. I definitely recall the bluetooth menu included a "pin edit" option, but can't recall if there was a "bluetooth ID edit" option. Try the unique pin for each head unit and see if that works.

As an aside, I installed mine on Saturday evening. Haven't had much chance to test it out as weather here has been bad and my car is in the garage, but it looks amazing. Now I just need to update the ancient Bostom Acoustic components in my doors with some new Focals.
spanishfly (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Sigs993
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OJM
...One question, any recommendations regarding where to place the mic to get decent call quality in the cab? I was thinking on top of steering column or maybe near rear view mirror.
I placed mine on top of the steering column and it works perfectly and you really can’t even see it.

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB