Sponsored by:

Ebay: what is going on here?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:58 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ebay: what is going on here?!

Check these out....suspiciously clean looking and cheap. Huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6131

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6131
Old 03-05-2004, 01:05 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I am suspicious of auctions that require "pre-approved" bidders. They are likely scams. But about the price... these are auctions, and there is still a lot of time left. If you decide to bid, insist on using an escrow company of YOUR choice, not theirs... that's how some of the ripoffs are accomplished... bogus escrow companies.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:17 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

They both have a very low Buy it Now prices as well. For this money anyone in their right mind would take both cars. Which also means that it's definitely bogus (see how both ads look almost the same)? I did not investigate the M3, but the M5 seller never sold anything on eBay prior and bought small weird things. Which tells me that he's very unlikely to be the real seller.
Both accounts have suspisiously similar emails at Yahoo. Timing of both is almost the same. Neither phone number is real, there are no such area codes.
Probable scam mechanism? "We want to pre-approve you and need to run your credit card number"... I will be very surprised if both auctions are still up tomorrow. Probably an identity theft and further scam with "preapproval".
Old 03-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Must be (yet another) eBay scam. I expect both listings will simply vanish once the eBay police spot these listings. I ran across this while trying to buy a plasma TV -- each time a "too good to be true" auction came up, I'd put it on my watch list and it would be gone within a day or so.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about free shipping anywhere in the US? Well I guess it's free if they do not have anything to ship! If they do ship, which I doubt, since they are paying it's their choice of shipper. The shipper may be somebody driving your way with a house trailer in tow for 5 months. Must be a scam.

Quick Reply: Ebay: what is going on here?!