993 Forum 1995-1998

GGR--Candlestick and Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GGR--Candlestick and Buttonwillow

For those of you in California, particularly Northern California, I'm just wondering who is going to be at the Candlestick autocross this weekend and at the Buttonwillow time trial on the 13th and 14th. I'll be at both and just wanted to see who from the list would be around.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry: I unfortunately will not make the autox Sat but I'll be at Buttonwillow. At Buttonwillow look for a blue topped EZ-up "tent" with a big HWFM Racing banner and the Turtle with it's mommy (our Green ML430 tow vehicle). I'll also be doning the NCRC and GGR events at Thunderhill April 1-4.

Look for Boris (yellow 993 cabriolet) at the autox and give him a hard time for me. With that 3.8 wing you get stuck in Qm class (with Hank Watts and all the super turbos!), do you have other mods that kick it into that class too?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Pete K
Pro

I'll be at Buttonwillow both days. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kim, Oops. I certainly don't expect Hank at any GGR TT for the next 2 years (at least). However, Mr Stickler For Details , my point/question remains - by current (silly) rules the wing alone puts Harry into Qm. I simply wondered if he had a few other mods to make running in Qm worthwhile (it certainly wasn't where I wanted to be!). That's why I sold the 3.8 wing that was on the Turtle and put on the RSA tail and will stay in Mp. And Harry, you fudger you, I see that Np on your car in the photo! I would never try to run a Qm car in Np

Kim, will you and YZ be at Thunderhill for NCRC on 4/1-2?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kim I'll see you on April Fool's Day at TH. Won't make the 11th date as I'll be preparing for the Sea Otter Classic race at LS on the 18th (Mt Bike, not cars).
Old 03-05-2004, 05:37 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Jeez, I was just wondering who would be there, and wasn't planning on engaging in a discussion on the cars. Kim, your car looks very nice and I look forward to seeing it in Thunderhill, and meeting you. Likewise, Pete, nice (and fast) ride.

As to Qm, I won't be running the car in that class--seriously, does my car look like an early 70's tub with a 993TT motor in it and a huge race car wing? I don't agree with what I think is Tom's reading of the rule, but I don't want to get into that discussion in this forum and in any event the existing rules will be replaced next year. If, however, someone in Np actually shows up (there is usually like 1 other car) and wants to give me a hassle about the upper element of the spoiler (which I think is the part Tom is talking about), I'll just take that part off for timed runs (strange as the car may look that way) which I think would eliminate Tom's objection to it. I haven't tried it this way, but the car may actually be faster given the lower wind resistance. As I see it, I've completed the very impressive grand total of two track events in my entire life and am hence very much a novice who is still just learning to drive the car and learning the tracks, and to the extent the upper element may add a bit of extra downforce at the rear to keep things a little safer it is a good thing when I'm driving tracks for the very first time like last month at Sears (the avatar) and like at Buttonwillow for this coming event. Also, it is not as though I have a big wing on the back like one of the GT cars...the tail on my car is a fairly common modification for street 993's done more for aesthetics than anything else, nor is it any larger than a stock 1999 C2 or C4 spoiler. As a result, if I'm passing anyone in Np it will just be a case of the slow passing the slower.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:01 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry,

I designed the autox course for tomorrow at candlestick - you will like it.

I tried to avoid the bumps in the lot and make a nice high speed course. the 914's won't have a chance....

so needless to say i'll be at candlestick tomorrow.

oh and i'll be at ThunderHill on 4/2

Cheers,

boris

Last edited by FlyYellow; 03-05-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aww Harry, can't we have some fun at your expense? I was just curious about your car as I was rudely surprised at my first TT when I found I was Qm and not Np. I'm certainly not going to complain about anyones class as I'm in it for the fun and Boris and the two Tim's let me run in Np for autocross even though we all knew the rules said I was Qm.

I look forward to seeing you at Buttonwillow
Old 03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be at Buttonwillow time trial next weekend with my heavyweight V8. It'll be my first PCA time trial, so I'm just a lowly student out there trying to get my competition license. I was going to run at Candlestick, but I need to make sure I have all the details done on my car to pass tech inspection.

Hope to see you guys out there.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:37 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I'll be at the AX tomorrow and in Np now that I have the JICs installed. I suspect with the new points system though I'd be closer to most people in Ni.

Even if I lose, I'd rather there be other people in Np than race against myself. It's all just for fun anyway.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:59 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

tom,

why should i complain - i took 1st.....

just trying to get the competitive juices flowing for this year...

i know i know... it was very close last year and you had to drop out due to medical conditions.

but, now i have my car together in a new & awesome configuration.

but, so do you with your new green turtle monster

hmmm, time will tell.

cheers,
boris
Old 03-05-2004, 08:01 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rob,

looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!!!!

Everyone Else,

Don't bash the course design, since it was my first design. But i did endeavor to make it 993 friendly!

Boris
Old 03-05-2004, 08:17 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Boris,

Are they not posting the designs in advance this year? I used to print the design before the event, even though the actual course sometimes differed by quite a bit...

Cheers,
ST
Old 03-05-2004, 08:18 PM
hdemas
Instructor

I'm looking forward to it Boris. In light of your assurances that the course will be 993 friendly, I'm now regretting that I didn't plan on bringing the 993 tomorrow. I'll be in a white 318ti, which at this point has already received the requisite washing and changing of the tires. I had figured I'd have plenty of time to play with the 993 the following weekend, and am curious to see how the 318 does. If its a 993-friendly course, I'll be lucky to be better than mid-pack in the 318. See you all there.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:22 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

they are not posting the course map ahead of time this year. i specifically asked that question. you can email Doug Ambrisko ambrisko@ambrisko.com and ask if you want more detail.

harry, bring the 993!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers,
boris

Quick Reply: GGR--Candlestick and Buttonwillow