Sponsored by:

Info, please- clutch servo spring tension adjustment bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 12:37 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Info, please- clutch servo spring tension adjustment bolt

Exactly what does this bolt do and what am I screwing up if I don't have it adjusted to the specs of 6mm? "6mm distance is measured from the inner face of the bolt head and the rocker." as per Robin's DIY on clutch pedal update?

My clutch has been VERY hard to push in from the day I bought the car. I tried lubing the pivots at the controls as listed as the first step to take and am planning to flush the slave in a couple of days, but when I read that there was a spring tension adjustment bolt for the clutch pedal, I just had to give it a try.

I just backed of the 6mm adjuster out till I thought it felt about right. Test drove the car and the clutch actually has some feel to the engagement point w/o all that spring tension masking it in the travel. But now I'm wondering, do I stand a chance of screwing something else up by having it possibly misadjusted? Why is this called a SERVO spring tension adjustment bolt? Is there a servo(electrical) somewhere that I could be misadjusting?

End result, clutch feels MUCH better and will still be doing the flush next week sometime, but for now I'm pretty happy with just a small adjustment making the car shift so much smoother.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2004 | 12:47 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kelly,

I adjusted the same bolt to a point where I also thought it was enough, and didn't make a difference for me. I had ViperBob help me flush the clutch slave cylinder and that made more of a difference, the clutch feels smoother now, but it is still relatively stiff for my taste. I am living with it at the moment until I upgrade to GT2 clutch and LWF.

-nels
Old 03-04-2004 | 12:53 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

nels-

I think mine was somehow out of adjustment to begin with. I didn't measure, so I can't say how far/if out it was.

However, it was so hard to push in the rubber pedal cover for the clutch pedal ripped on the edge from the pressure it took to push the pedal in. No matter if it is misadjusted now, I like the feel I'm getting through the pedal on the engagement point... something I could never feel prior to me backing off the adjuster.

I'm just concerned if I can leave it this way w/o introducing bigger problems somewhere else.
Old 03-04-2004 | 01:03 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kelly, do you have any pics of the adjustment bolt? I think it's high time I do mine as well.
BTW, if you want a better looking avatar, email me your full-size pic and I'll see what I can do. It looks a bit jagged right now.
Old 03-04-2004 | 01:11 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

check out step 5 in this DIY

http://p-car.com/diy/pedal/clutchlever.html

Thanks for the avatar help. Check your PM.

Old 03-04-2004 | 04:40 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

nile13-

Did you receive my PM??
Old 03-04-2004 | 08:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kelly, I just got it and answered it. Unfortunately I don't get notifications, so sometimes it takes a bit.
Thanksfor the pointer!

Mike.S, driving a cool automatic Chevy Aveo today provided by a Porsche dealer as a loaner. You think my date tonight will care? :-)
Old 03-04-2004 | 08:30 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by nile13

Mike.S, driving a cool automatic Chevy Aveo today provided by a Porsche dealer as a loaner. You think my date tonight will care? :-)
I hope not.

Quick Reply: Info, please- clutch servo spring tension adjustment bolt