Sponsored by:

Car stalling after lwfw install

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:12 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for all the help

I will drive more the car to see if it adapts. Unfortunately, its still snowing here in montreal.

Steve wong also told me that we can bump the icv a little? Anyone did that??
Old 02-25-2020, 07:51 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
+1! There is a good reason Porsche build the cars the way they do!

If a few simple mods could release a lot of extra horses without any problems, believe me, Porsche would have built the cars that way!
I have a '98 with LWFW and have never stalled in normal driving (not to rub it in to OP). I wouldn't call the '95 cars flawed, they just are not an ideal candidate for a LWFW without accommodations being made. Luckily, '95s are easier to modify with chips and whatnot and '95 owners don't have to deal with OBDII, so there are pros and cons to that one.

I think Porsche used a DMFW because it's more refined and civilized. The LWFW revs quicker and the car is more raw and reactive. It's a little louder and a more aggressive feeling and perfect for heel/toe. It really changes the car's personality. I personally love it, but it's a pure sports car thing and it doesn't fit the slightly more mature personality baked into the 993.

Paseb - for what it's worth, I let my car idle for 10 minutes without touching it (after battery disconnect for 30 min) before I took it for a drive and never had an issue. Not sure if the chips acclimate the idle or not on the '95s.

edit: I also installed a new ISV and I had vacuum lines inspected and some of the elbows replaced.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-25-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Seb, as mentioned, taking out and cleaning the ISV valve usually cures the issue. If not, others have stated that a new ISV valve was sure-fire solution.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:42 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

To the op, after a couple more drives, the change in pedal behavior becomes second nature. Its part of the 993 enthusiast experience.

Having said that, I don’t think lwfw is an especially friendly street car modification. Sounds like a bag of bolts.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
To the op, after a couple more drives, the change in pedal behavior becomes second nature. Its part of the 993 enthusiast experience.

Having said that, I don’t think lwfw is an especially friendly street car modification. Sounds like a bag of bolts.
I keep hearing that complaint but I hardly ever hear anything objectionable. Just sounds mechanical. Of course I have a Fister III exhaust, so my car is already rude and mechanical noises are just part of the experience.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

+1. Bag of bolts sound comes from changing the trans mount to a solid metal version.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:04 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
By definition, the OE programming, controller, sensor hardware and Dual Mass Flywheel work perfectly together when used as the OE manufacturer tested and specified. When an aftermarket flywheel and or flywheel & control software is installed one has an unresolved operating issue.
Since the original OE solution works perfectly and the aftermarket modification does not it is a matter of the aftermarket modification(s) not being compatible or not properly engineered for use with the 1995 model year car. The idea that somehow the1995 993 has a bug because an after-market conversion sold for use on it doen't work properly just doesn't pass the sniff test as a reasonable view of the situation.
Andy
Bug is the wrong word. A 95 993 peculiarity in that the other years seem to handle it better.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. Bag of bolts sound comes from changing the trans mount to a solid metal version.
Even with a regular mount it is a bit rattly. Different trans fluid helps that too.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

The main issue is that the LWF (with it's lower mass) would not stall with a higher idle. But for street driving, a high idle it's not optimum... So when we modify the car its difficult to achieve the best of both worlds: low reciprocating mass for quick spool ups and a low idle for quiet waits at stop signs.. It's not the car's fault, it's our fault for messing with the 993 and wanting it all. If you have ever heard a cup-car idle, then you'll know the meaning of "coffee can full of bolts" ..
Old 02-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

How does the mid weight flywheel (MWFW) compare- anyone have any experience of that?

Spools quicker than a DMFW but not as many rattles as a LWFW.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:23 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Even with a regular mount it is a bit rattly. Different trans fluid helps that too.
​​​​​​Yep - only ever had stock trans mounts but have had the can-o-bolts serenade for all 50k+ miles of LWFW. Delvac is quiter than PTX, but PTX shifts much more nicely.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:24 AM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993

This. The need to adjust driving styles is by far outweighed by how much more fun the car is to drive for me. My car is highly modified and used in anger only on weekends. I would not want the same experience for a daily driver.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 29 Posts

I daily drive mine three seasons. I like the all-encompassing experience, which is one reason I bought the car. The noise of Fister III exhaust largely masks any lwf noise, although I can sometimes detect a faint, Duccati-like clatter with clutch out at idle. I like Ducati’s and the sound they make so it doesn’t bother me. Blipping the throttle isn’t hard, and has become part of the experience driving my specific car. I don’t personally consider it a defect, but do understand exactly what pp000830 is saying. I won’t make any claims regarding real or perceived performance gains either. I have driven a beautiful, low mileage 100% stock 993 and while it is what Porsche intended the 993 to to be and objectively a nicer car in every way, I much prefer the raw experience mine provides.

As a side note, when my 15 year old daughter drives the 993 she does not blip the throttle and it almost never dies, so technique may be a component. Seems like the higher the RPM is when load is removed, the more likely it is to drop to zero before the chip can do its thing and save the day.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:52 PM
drbooba1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the mid weight flywheel (MWFW) compare- anyone have any experience of that?
I've heard that is what Singer uses

regards
Old 02-28-2020, 11:33 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

The mid weight flywheel and clutch kit is available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223441142395?ul_noapp=true

Seller states that it is specifically designed to prevent stalling on early 94-95 OBD1 cars.

Quick Reply: Car stalling after lwfw install