Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Sport 993 RS race at Laguna Seca (E-Sports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020 | 05:12 PM
velandia
Track Day

Default GT Sport 993 RS race at Laguna Seca (E-Sports)

While I don't own a 993 (I recently bought an 06 Cayman with similar livery to that on the yellow 993 in the vid), I thought y'all might enjoy a PS4 GT Sport video of about twenty 993 RS Porsches battling at Laguna Seca. This was the top split (meaning most highly rated drivers) of this race. Generally among this group, a small mistake means you lose a spot. IMO, realism of these video games has significantly improved - and keep in mind GT Sport on PS4 was released towards the end of 2017. The reflection of the sun on cars, dust from the road, tree/building/bridge shadows, not to mention suspension movement, create quite a realistic scene.

Old 02-14-2020 | 05:38 PM
rg0115
Pro

wow, looks so realistic. Fun to watch. Thanks for sharing
The following users liked this post:
msw (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 08:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I really enjoyed that! Is there any penalty/degradation to the car by opening up the wheel and going off-track? i.e. bent rims, ripped off brake ducting, etc.?
Old 02-14-2020 | 11:12 PM
velandia
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I really enjoyed that! Is there any penalty/degradation to the car by opening up the wheel and going off-track? i.e. bent rims, ripped off brake ducting, etc.?
...yeah, it's a long race, but a couple minutes gives you a flavor for the intensity and precision... and fun. Time penalties are given for cutting the track - 0.5 to 1 second and for colliding with cars - eg pushing a car off track could be a 4-5 sec penalty. Car damage is modeled roughly at best - car collisions or wall collision causing temporary handling problems (pulling, sub-optimal cornering). Offtrack doesn't cause damage - unless there are undulations that launch the car, and there is definite loss of grip (like the car in front of me that went off track lap1 2nd to last turn). Offtrack also temporarilly reduces grip as the "dust" on tires wears away over the course of a couple turns. There is tire degradation, and it does model fuel load (higher acceleration, better cornering as fuel load decreases). I think games such as iRacing do a better job of modeling off track incidents.

Interesting recent article on Gran Turismo founder Kaz Yamauchi titled "Gran Turismo Founder on His Mission to Save Motor Racing": https://theunionjournal.com/gran-tur...-motor-racing/

Quick Reply: GT Sport 993 RS race at Laguna Seca (E-Sports)