Any road test reviews - JIC Cross Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any road test reviews - JIC Cross Coilovers

I am wondering if anyone has had these installed and can provide us(me?)with a preliminary assessment?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I've had the JIC's on my C4S now for about a week. Unfortunately I've been buried at work so I've only really had a chance to take it out on 1 drive through some curves.

To give you some idea of my perspective, I previously had ROW M030 springs with stock shocks (fronts were completely dead, rears had been replaced once already so they were in slightly better shape.)

I upgraded with JIC's, TRG adjustable sways, and a strut brace all in 1 shot.

It's difficult to describe the ride over the Internet, and I've never ridden in a PSS-9-equiped car so I can't offer that as a comparison.

To me, my new setup feels really solid. I feel the bumps more than I used to, but it also feels like the suspension absorbs them a lot quicker. I live in San Francisco with plenty of potholes, and I don't have any issues with the ride being too stiff.

I was able to drive the JICs on some roads I know well. (For those in the SF area 1 to 92 to 35 to 84 to 280). Previously my car felt unsettled through the curves even after I had it aligned. With the JICs, the car felt really balanced. I don't like pushing too hard on public roads, but even at reasonable cornering speeds the car handled noticeably better.

I'll be autocrossing it on Saturday so that should be another interesting comparison.

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to know more about my setup. I've been very pleased so far, both with ViperBob / renntt's service and my new suspension. Just don't tell my girlfriend that my car got an expensive Valentine's day gift...
Old 03-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update, Rob. Were there any issues on the install?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be able to comment in a week or so. I get my 964 back later this week with them installed. I have PSS-9s on my 993.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:02 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Well, my part was mostly watching ViperBob and Adam do the real work. I'm sure Bob will see this thread and can probably provide much better details.

Originally posted by Don Magee
Thanks for the update, Rob. Were there any issues on the install?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:12 AM
nman413
Drifting

Hello there, I just got these installed over the weekend by Bob (and Adam). They are definately stiffer than the PSS-9s which doesnt surprise me since Bob tells me the spring rates are almost twice the PSS-9s. I havent really pushed the car yet since it has not been aligned and I am awaiting the arrival of Bob's Droplink Specials (tm) so that I can get TRG sways installed on the rear.

However, it is always an improvement since my car had the stock shocks and as usual they are dead. I've been around quite a bit during the installs Bob does and pretty much all the cars I've seen have dead shocks by the time they hit 30k if not earlier.

On a separate note, Bob (and Adam) have worked on my car(s) several times and I have to say they have done a great job and I am very happy.

Now if I could just get the drop links.....

[edit] re issues: Adam was swearing a bit at the mounting holes for the front shocks as they needed to be machined a bit but the rest of the install went smoothly.

Quick Reply: Any road test reviews - JIC Cross Coilovers