Sponsored by:

993 C4 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Part out? Seriously? You all are a tough crowd. (In fairness, a 95 3.6 engine and 6 speed, even if C4 trans is worth a good bit of money, but still).

Go check out what is saved in the 356/long hood 911 world.

The only rust pictured is the common windscreen rust which is totally fixable. Given how common it is (and how bad windscreen replacements are) I’d be inclined to do a quick fix there and touch up. Heck, if he were local I’d do it for him. I’d even touch up the wheels for him too. As far as the rest of the car, a weekend of cleaning/detailing/polishing and swapping out lights and a new Carrera 4 badge would make it look presentable.
I picked up a 51K mile all original 964 eight months ago that sat in a garage. It needs about $15-20K to sort out mechanically and did a bunch of it myself. Number above does not include body work.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:22 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Part out? Seriously? You all are a tough crowd. (In fairness, a 95 3.6 engine and 6 speed, even if C4 trans is worth a good bit of money, but still).

Go check out what is saved in the 356/long hood 911 world.

The only rust pictured is the common windscreen rust which is totally fixable. Given how common it is (and how bad windscreen replacements are) I’d be inclined to do a quick fix there and touch up. Heck, if he were local I’d do it for him. I’d even touch up the wheels for him too. As far as the rest of the car, a weekend of cleaning/detailing/polishing and swapping out lights and a new Carrera 4 badge would make it look presentable.
The level of corrosion seems to suggest one would see all sorts of corrosion-related issues with the wheel end components if not the driveline not to mention dried out seals round dynamic components in the driveline due to lack of movement over many years. By the time all of this is addressed it could be a very expensive job to fix. I guess if one was to entertain its recovery having an inspection done of the mechanicals is probably in order. My view would be even if restored to daily-driver condition the seeds of earlier corrosion will reemerge over time to the body and constant sealing issues will emerge around shafts and other dynamic components making it a lot of work and cost over time.
Andy
Old 01-24-2020, 06:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Andy,

I can see your perspective, but it’s a Florida car, not a Michigan car. I mean look at the rotors and calipers, they are near perfect. And yes, I would want to put it on a lift to see what the underside looks like, but I am guessing it’s not terrible, probably pretty good. The wheel corrosion is probably because that spot was where the cover was and the front window is the common bad seal. That and some cosmetic issues is what is shown thus far. I mean the tires are holding air and don’t have any obvious side wall cracks.

Yes, it might have leaks, but my experience is that, if you drive it for a while, a lot of them go away. I’d give it a detail and a service, see if I could get it running and driving, and then sort it out as needed. I have done this to lots of cars over the years and they are usually fine (and they all looked a lot worse than this one). Have you dragged stuff out that has been sitting? What is your experience? I do admit my 993 I was expecting a decent amount of work, but it needed very, very little.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:29 PM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Look at all the panel gaps on this ‘95 993 - better than any current Tesla Model 3!

Old 01-25-2020, 01:58 PM
deutschnine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you call ‘reasonable’ Mr Salesman?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:20 AM
sub-zero
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

i'm local send me email : r.motorsports6@gmail.com

i'll come take a look

Quick Reply: 993 C4 Restoration