Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Lower Ride Height but Preserve Ride Quality: M033, H&R or ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 993 SUV

Just so everybody understands my motivation to lower my car, check out my current ride height. Doesn't it look unbelievably high, especially in the front?

Help me brothers, help me....

Old 03-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Looks even higher than my "before" pic:

HD/RoWM030 before/after

For street use only, I find my setup as compliant over bumps as stock. The stiffer sways and lower height make the big handling difference on back road twisties.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

That's some serious air, Bob. My first thoughts are "Paris-Dakar and Jacky Ickx".
Old 03-02-2004, 10:27 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

It does have a "lifted" appearance. Hence, the common term around here of the U.S. cars having an SUV ride-height. I know how you feel, once you get the bug to do it - everytime you look at your car it's painful on the eyes!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

maybe this car was a prototype 993 Cayenne?

I know how you feel about this nose-high ride height. This is about what my car looked like before a little suspension work.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 993 SUV

Originally posted by Bob D.
Just so everybody understands my motivation to lower my car, check out my current ride height. Doesn't it look unbelievably high, especially in the front?
Bob, have you looked to see what's under that front end? That almost looks like the shipping blocks are still in there. What suspension does this car have, and are you the original owner?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

Another way to help with a softer around town ride is to use 17" wheels with a higher profile. The lower the profile, the stiffer the tires. I went from 285/30/18 to 265/35/18 and noticed a difference. I suppose 40 or 45 would be like Cloud 9!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:48 AM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob

I recently had PSS9s/TRG Swaybars/RS rear droplinks / front protection bar installed on my car by Midwest Eurosports, last week, and the car was lowered to RS height. The wheels were previously changed from 17in to 18in.

I am very happy with the results and the adjustability, whatever driving situation the future may hold - street or track.

Let me know if you'd like to drive it.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Martin - 285/30 and 265/35 have the same sidewall height, so it must've been the difference in tires (or the fact that you put fresher ones on)...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by GrantG
Martin - 285/30 and 265/35 have the same sidewall height, so it must've been the difference in tires (or the fact that you put fresher ones on)...
Exactly.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: 993 SUV

Originally posted by Viken
Bob, have you looked to see what's under that front end? That almost looks like the shipping blocks are still in there. What suspension does this car have, and are you the original owner?
I agree! I am the second owner. I have the original window sticker which lists no suspension options, so I am assuming the standard springs/Monroes.

I have not crawled underneath it because most days that is a challenging event for me because I have a severe arthritis-type disease (I'm often kinda like the Tin Man before his oil!). The car had a thorough PPI, however, and "Modifications--None" is indicated on the inspection report under the Suspension section. The car also had a major dealer service last year and no comments were made about the suspension. And definitely no accidents (it had a body shop inspection and paint gauge check--I was really paranoid thanks to too many hours on rennlist!). The gas tank was just about dead empty when that picture was taken, could that impact the front height at rest? I dunno.

I think the susupension is just really tired (47k miles) and as others have indicated their cars looked similar. I'm looking at it this way: won't I be a really strong contender for the most dramatic "before" and "after" pictures??!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
TGP
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob-

I'm in the same boat. My suspension is shot and after much thought (and reading many posts) I am going with the M030 and HD. For me and in talking to Bob, this was the best solution for both comfort and performance (I hope). I don't plan on doing that much tack work and have a very steep driveway.

I have an appointment with Viperbob (and the slippery slope) for Wednesday and would be happy to share my before and after thoughts with you.

As background I have a 98S with 42K miles and 17" cup wheels w/P-Zero
Old 03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default another review from fellow Chicago owner :)

O.k. I have a 96 993 C2 (regular coupe)

I had bought the car new with standard suspension.

I then went to a ROW M030 supsension with M030 Sway bars. The ride was much harsher and my 60 year old father decided he now hated the car!

I decided I still didn't like the ride height and after being a passanger in an H&R Boxster, decided I wanted H&R for myself.

I now have the base (I think it's called Sport) H&R Coilovers and LOVE the ride height as well as the ride quality for street AND track! NOTE: I have both a set of stock 17's and 18s for track use and notice a HUGE difference between the 17s with street tires and 18s with track R1 compound tires.

I'll bet folks at local chicago PCA events would be more than happy to give you a ride in their 993 with modified suspension so you can get real world experience BEFORE you buy!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
LarryN
Advanced

I finally bit the upgrade bullet and had H & R Springs w/ Bilstein HD's installed about 3 weeks ago. Does it preserve ride quality? Not actually, it's firmer but I'm quite happy with the overall results. Rough freeway stretches are where I have noticed some harshness. Otherwise it seems compliant and not that much different. Sport handling does seem improved but I'm looking forward to an opportunity to autocross to really feel the difference.

While my car did not look near as high as Bob D.'s in the front before, it was 'up' for sure. It's now almost 2" lower in the front. The Front Protection Bar that I bought with the kit (Gert Carnewal of course) is a MUST.

BTW, my car has 64k miles, 17" rims.

-Larry
Old 03-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For my 1000th post

Bob,
FWIW, here is a shot of my stock-suspended '95. Your car looks a lot higher in front. I have no idea how full the gas tank was. Also FWIW, I plan to install Bilstein HDs, with either RoW M030, M033 or H&Rs. I'm leaning toward the M030 because my understanding (from this board) is that it's the best match for the HDs.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lower Ride Height but Preserve Ride Quality: M033, H&R or ??