Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best RS "look" wheels? & will 19" wheels fit a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best RS "look" wheels? & will 19" wheels fit a 993?

Can anybody suggest a nice set of after market RS wheels (I believe the originals are rare and VERY expensive. The only two I have heard of are Tramont & Speedline Alesio - are there any others out there? Any photo's would be appreciated (as would your thoughts as an owner). One set I have seen has very nice polished rims but i don't know who makes them.

Also I have noticed one or two places offering 19" wheels for the 993. Has anybody done this? Could it put unneccessary loading on the steering rack.

Thanks for any advice or help you may be able to give me.

Regards

Mike
Old 05-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mike:

I can’t answer your question about 19” wheels, but I do have some experience with the Kinesis Supercup wheels. I had three sets that I used for racing on my first race car – a 993 RSCS clone. Even though the centers were cast they performed very well for me for over two years of racing. I would highly recommend them as a substitute for the Speedline RS wheels. If you have turbo brakes, you need to tell the Kinesis guys that when ordering. They can accommodate the larger calipers, but their regular setup does not work with the TT calipers. If you have a turbo or C4S, then they already know and there is no need to worry.

Hank
Old 05-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike,

I can't answer anything about the 19" wheels - I think it would depend on what specific wheel you're looking at. I went through this process recently and just didn't think the 19s looked right on the car.
I ended up putting the RS wheels on my car - they are more expensive (approx 3900 Euro) but I felt that they looked a bit better on the car. Also, IMHO, I think there is clearly some value in having Porsche products on the car - many may disagree but that's just my thought.
I've now just put RS Wheels & an RS Aerokit on my Speed Yellow cab and I think it looks great. I'll be glad to share some pictures if you would like.
Good luck.
Rick.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:52 AM
djimenez993tt
Instructor

I do know about the 19" wheels, IMHO,and contrary to other posts I consider they look great on the 993. I have 19*8.5 and 19*11 Ruf wheels on my 993tt and the car just just so perfect. I shall admit that it might affect the overal performance of the car in acceleration, but it more than make it up for in looks, just my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
djimenez993tt,

I stand corrected and would have to agree with you - I do think the RUF 19" wheels look great. I personally didn't care for the look of some of the 19" after-market wheels so went with the RS wheels.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Singh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Tramont wheels and I think they look great. If someone could tell me how to attach a jpg picture, i can post how they look on a polar silver 993.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Thanks to all of you for the replies. Singh I would love to see your pictures since my car is also polar silver.

In terms of the ruf I think i saw them once on a black car and they did look great. How much are they? The only other question would be tyres since the uk Michlein distributor told me the new pilot sport was not available in 19" - is that true of other major brands - 18" is the limit?

Thanks for any replies or pictures. It's at times like this that rennlist is invaluable and I'm going to (finally!) sign up!

regards

Mike
Old 05-09-2002, 09:43 PM
SteveG.
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I too have the Tramont RS style wheels and they are beautiful. They are very high quality and are exactly like the OEM Speedlines except the offset in the rear is slighly more aggressive which I think looks better than the stock 65mm. They are about 56mm if I remember correctly. The Kinesis RS style wheels are not exactly like the OEM wheel. The opennings are not a smooth oval like the RS OEMs and the Tramonts. If I remember correctly, the Speedline Alesio are nothing like the RS OEM Speedlines. There is one more wheel that is exactly like the OEM ones but I can't think of the name but Peter at PWS will know. You should talk to Peter at Performance wheel supply in England. He knows all about fitment and manufacturers and I got my Tramonts from him. <a href="http://www.performancewheelsupplies.ltd.uk" target="_blank">http://www.performancewheelsupplies.ltd.uk</a> I hope this helps. By the way, my 993 is Arctic silver as well! The Tramonts look sweet!

Steve
Old 05-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Singh:
<strong>I have the Tramont wheels and I think they look great. If someone could tell me how to attach a jpg picture, i can post how they look on a polar silver 993.</strong><hr></blockquote>

First, just hip "upload" on top of this page, then browse that pic from your computer & upload it, once you've donr that, "copy" it. Then when you are posting your reply, hit "image" button (below the white box where you type and when the new window appears, "paste" that link to your picture and hit ok, that should do it.

Quick Reply: Best RS "look" wheels? & will 19" wheels fit a 993?