Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 07:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
I think Porsches are ticket-magnets. I drive at the same stupid and excessive speeds in all of my cars (1994 850 CSI, 1991 C4, and 1998 A6 quatro)and get pulled over more often and at lower speeds in the Porsche. Between 1980 and 1992 I had a street licensed Lola T163 Can-Am car that I drove on the street frequently and never got pulled over, despite a 1-2 shift at 70mph.
I think the cops like the "I pulled this ____
in a Porsche over...." story.
Anyway, a Valentine 1, 12 quart oil changes, and learning how to drive are just the demands of ownership.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:00 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Jim might have called it right when he said "luck of the draw". My experience:

- 1991 Infiniti Q45 (black): No tickets in 6 years. Several warnings. Once let go with a warning after a trooper clocked me at 91 mph in Alabama. I'm at a total loss to explain that one.

- 2000 Merc S500 (Black): Two speeding tickets in only four months. Sold that puppy.

- 1997 993TT (Silver): One ticket for me. Ironically, my wife got a ticket for 70 mph in a 55 mph the one and only time she ever drove it.

So, go figure. Maybe, color matters - everyone seems to quote statistics about red and yellow cars. Maybe, we tend to drive more ball-sy in our sports cars and thus increase the chances of getting a ticket.

Maybe, it's all luck - which trooper you get, what he ate for breakfast, what his wife said to him as he was leaving for work, etc, etc.

Civility and an honest attitude has saved my butt on many occasions - but the Valentine One has saved me even more!!! Praise be to the Valentine One.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:05 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pete:
<STRONG>
Now that wasn't very "Christian," was it DJ? Ah, the hypocrsiy.
</STRONG>

Pete,

I'm wondering... in what way would you be qualified to discuss what is and is not "Christian"? Should I not speak (or write) the truth?

<STRONG>
I'm sorry that you're so insecure that you can't see the irony in your original post. It takes a secure person to laugh at themselves.
</STRONG>

What you see is not irony, it is an apparent conflict of facts. Apparent, but not actual. I never complained that I got too many tickets: someone asked a question, and I gave an answer. I stated that I drove fast all the time. Apparently, you can't consider the possibility that although I dislike getting tickets, I dislike even more not driving fast, and have chosen the latter.

You--as you are wont to do--twisted the facts around until they fit your agenda, and attempted to assualt my character, as you do again in your latest post. Why is it, that nearly everything you write is a verbal attack? Do you ever have anything of value to add? I truly believe that you revel in the insulation offered by trans-internet communications, and that in person you wouldn't be nearly so smarmy.

<STRONG>
"I am very adept at paying attention to my surroundings."

Then why so many tickets?
</STRONG>

It's called the law of averages.

<STRONG>
p.s. "I only speed in a safe & sane manner" Hmmmm, that reminds me of a certain incident involving a splatter motif C4S at Laguna. But Todd's already discussed that with you. Nevermind.</STRONG>
Rubbish. You refer to something that happened on the track, when we are talking about driving on the street. Besides, you don't know what happened, or how it happened. Can you not stick to the topic at hand, or are you resorting to your normal tactics of when you feel you can't win the argument on its merits that you change the subject. Predictable move there, Pete, giving just enough info to infer you know what you're talking about, in an attempt to indict me, but not give the whole story.

I doubt that anyone on this list wants to read this tripe, so if you've got unresolved issues with me, I suggest that you send it to me via e-mail. Public communication with you is fruitless.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:01 PM
Pete.
Banned

"You--as you are wont to do--twisted the facts around until they fit your agenda, and attempted to assualt my character, as you do again in your latest post. Why is it, that nearly everything you write is a verbal attack? Do you ever have anything of value to add? I truly believe that you revel in the insulation offered by trans-internet communications, and that in person you wouldn't be nearly so smarmy."

I'm much irreverent in person DJ.

Also, how can something that is "written" be a "verbal" attack? That's funny. Good one!

I didn't attempt to assault your character in my first response, I merely pointed out something humorous that you wrote. You then proceeded to get bent out of shape and began the so un-Christian ad hominum attacks. Maybe because you're insecure? Just a guess.

Originally posted by DJ:
[QB]

Rubbish. You refer to something that happened on the track, when we are talking about driving on the street. Besides, you don't know what happened, or how it happened. Can you not stick to the topic at hand, or are you resorting to your normal tactics of when you feel you can't win the argument on its merits that you change the subject. Predictable move there, Pete, giving just enough info to infer you know what you're talking about, in an attempt to indict me, but not give the whole story.

QB]
Au contraire DJ. I was at Laguna.

I'm certainly not changing the topic. You are the one who is preaching about how you are such a wonderful, safe, and observant driver (despite all of those tickets, which brings us full circle....)

Do you think that someone who is ostensibly an "instructor" is exhibiting "safe driving" habits by passing under the yellow after a car has gone off? You didn't get ticketed, but you certainly got black flagged. Hmmmmm.........

Is that the kind of example that you want to set for your "students"?

I'll leave the other incident for another time.

Keep an eye out for those cops!

Pete
Old 06-05-2001, 09:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, that's enough guys. Pete, DJ asked that you take this debate off the board. I think it is time you did that.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Pete,

You are listed as having made 4 total posts on the new Rennlist board. All four are personal attacks on DJ on this one thread.

Do you have anything of value to contribute? If not, may I suggest bimmer.org or one of the other auto "enthusiast" boards laden with sarcasm and personal attacks? John D, and many contributors, work hard to maintain this board as a valuable place for mature, mutually respectful discussion on Porsches, racing, and yes, speeding.

Please, give it a rest, or as DJ and Viken suggested, take it outside.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:12 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by Viken Bedrossian:
<STRONG>OK, that's enough guys. Pete, DJ asked that you take this debate off the board. I think it is time you did that.</STRONG>
Ah, the old "tag team" ploy. DJ's buddy comes to his rescue after he scampers away. Very good, if unoriginal.

A question for you Viken:

Who is forcing you to read my posts?

If my posts upset you so much, just move on down the page.

It's really quite simple.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 06-05-2001, 11:20 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>Pete,

You are listed as having made 4 total posts on the new Rennlist board. All four are personal attacks on DJ on this one thread.

Do you have anything of value to contribute? If not, may I suggest bimmer.org or one of the other auto "enthusiast" boards laden with sarcasm and personal attacks? John D, and many contributors, work hard to maintain this board as a valuable place for mature, mutually respectful discussion on Porsches, racing, and yes, speeding.

Please, give it a rest, or as DJ and Viken suggested, take it outside.</STRONG>
I guess you must be pretty fragile, lack a sense of humor, or both, if you consider my original comment to be a "personal attack."

Who are you to decide what can and cannot be posted? Wannabe moderators really make me chuckle. Thanks.

Why would I want to bore myself on the bimmer board? I own, and drive, a Porsche.

Maybe you should check out the Rolls Royce boards. I understand that they are very sedate and boring. I'm sure you would feel more comfortable in that type of environment.

Here's something to consider re: speeding.

Buy a scanner to accompany your radar detector. It helps when the CHP is running aerial stings.

Did that meet with your approval O wannabe moderator?

Cheers!

Pete

p.s. My suggestion to Viken applies to you as well:

If you get upset after reading my posts, just ignore anything with mu name on it. You'll feel better about yourself and you'll sleep better.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry that you're so insecure that you can't see the irony in your original post. It takes a secure person to laugh at themselves.
I'm secure enough to recognise precocious flailings when I see them.

I'm much irreverent in person DJ.
Who are you to decide what can and cannot be posted? Wannabe moderators really make me chuckle. Thanks.
Maybe the Board's Supreme Being should teach you some reverence, exercise his new found moderating powers and exclude you worthless ramblings... Then you can chuckle away to your secure heart's content.

Go post on someone elses thread.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:07 AM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by Paul M:
<STRONG>

Go post on someone elses thread.

Thanks.</STRONG>
Thread "ownership," what a concept.

That was funny, but probably not in the way that you intended it to be.

Thanks.

Pete
Old 06-06-2001, 05:19 PM
Carlos
Banned

Wink

Think it's bad in a silver 911, try a red 928. The second day I had the car I got stopped outside of Gatlinburg Tn (Pigeon Forge, home of Dollywood). This little fat cop is so excited he's breathing hard (think he took my license back to his car so he could choke the chicken). Says he paced me AND clocked me with radar at 65 in a 35 (six lane highway). I saw him when I went by, his radar was off and I was going 50 or so. I saw him coming up behind me so I slowed down. When he got behind me and finally turned on his radar, I was going 40.

But here's the solution boys, keep a box of Krispy Kremes in the car. If the man gets behind you, open up the sunroof and toss 5 or 6 of them out of the sunroof. When those Krispy Kremes hit his windshield he'll either stop to collect them or get so excited that he'll wreck. Either way you're home free.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:43 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
We need a lot of water to put this fire out. I thought this topic was about porsche owners getting tickets not personal attacks. I sure hope this board don't get like the old board (flame city). I once was clocked and stopped by smokie and he asked me as he walked up to my door as my car was still running and said what kind of motor do you have in here because it sure don't sound or run like a porsche your car is very fast. Well to make a long story short he let me walk away ticket free. I then asked the tropper how fast did you have me clocked at? he said to fast to be legal you need to be on a race track with that car well I guess that VP16 is a give away.

George 911-V8 George's 911-V8
Old 06-06-2001, 09:24 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

<STRONG>
...well I guess that VP16 is a give away.
</STRONG>

George,

What's a VP16?

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: DJ ]
Old 06-07-2001, 12:26 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
So George I see the humour in your post and hope you take this the right way.

You could easily dispute the infraction in court.

"There must be a mistake m'lud, I wasn't even driving a Porsche when I was stopped..."
Old 06-07-2001, 10:24 AM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Question

Not trying to join in the flame war, but curious about something.

Is this the same Pete who has been posting on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board claiming that TracQuest has an unsafe track record with "more than it's share of serious crashes" and questioning it's instruction policy?

Another quote: "My point, which you seem to have missed, is that "safety" does not appear to be stressed as much at Tracquest events as at other events that I have attended."

Clearly a troll, here and in other forums. Go away little man.

Quick Reply: More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?