Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 06:26 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Konrad & William,

I agree with what both of you posit, that a nice friendly attitude in a clean car can often get you away without a citation, but... the title of the thread is "More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?". While anyone may at times get away without getting cited after getting pulled over, I still hold that you're more likely to get a ticket in a 911 versus some other car (at least I am). I've been pulled over a lot. I've been let go a lot. I've gotten some tickets. I haven't altered my driving style in many years, but have been pulled over more often in the 911 than in any other car. Prior to the 911, I drove an S600 for three years, no tickets in that car, never even got pulled over. Prior to that was two years in a SL500, pulled over twice, two tickets. Average so far in the 911 is about once every three months I get pulled over. Sometimes I get ticketed, sometimes not, but definitely moreso than in other cars.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:53 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by DJ:
<snip>

I've been pulled over a lot. I've been let go a lot. I've gotten some tickets. I haven't altered my driving style in many years

.[/QB]
Maybe it's time to change, or at least be more careful?
Old 06-05-2001, 12:22 AM
Jim Dingman
8th Gear

Like most of us I have several cars, however I really only get tickets in one. To date it been my Bronco, an 88 root beer brown with 40 inch tires and 500HP, a total beast, 12000lb winch, roll cage, seats, harnesses the complete visual shebang. I could be 10 miles over, but I still get the ticket.

Now, the 993TT (Fly Yellow) I get many finger wavings and threats but not tickets yet. I live in SOCAL and run highway 74 as a commute. Lately they have been patrolling the road heavily, oh well put the toy away and run another.

Interesting thread, but the reality is this, be nice, be honest and the rest is the luck of the draw.

One a year has been my record, I’m sure this will change tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:32 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never gotten a speeding ticket in any of
my 911's--past or present. We're going back to 1988 here. The only ticket I've ever received while driving in a 911 was for cutting over a yellow line to get past
another car and into the left turn lane (didn't want to miss the arrow!)

While I try to drive judiciously (keeping one eye on the rear view mirror, watching for unmarked cars, etc.), I by no means drive super-conservatively. I usually set my cruise control for 72 mph (typical freeway speed here in So. Cal) in 65 mph areas, but I sometimes get so fed up with So. Cal's "pack mentality" that I have to go 80 or 90 to clear myself from a block of cars. Besides these pack-clearing moments, I am also prone to occasional 100 mph + spurts (conditions being correct , just because it feels good.

So, in summation, I would say I've been lucky, and that the cops haven't been singling me out.

There, now I've done it. I'm sure to get a speeding ticket on the way into work tomorrow morning

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Randall Granaas ]
Old 06-05-2001, 02:36 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts
Two tickets in 12 years of driving a 911. Irrational exuberance MO similar to Randall's. Last one was 2 years ago in Oregon. Officer told me he had a hard time catching me. I told him I am not a criminal and would have stopped sooner if he had turned the light on, and that if he had tailgated me sooner I could have seen all those antennas on his car in time to slow down. Several jovialities later, and with a compliment on the nice car, he gave me a ticket with a reduced indicated speed because he said I was changing lanes in a safe manner. The other ticket, I felt I was singled out, but that's life.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:43 AM
LarryN
Advanced

Wink

"You bought a RED porsche? What a ticket magnet, are you nuts?" Not suprisingly this is what I heard from many when I bought my 993 last year. So just this afternoon I registered for traffic school after mailing my check in last week for getting caught on the 57 fwy near Brea CA for 78mph (on the way home from an autocross event). Basically 'just going with the flow of the traffic' so in most ways I can say that this was just a 'red sports car ticket'. Like Randall though, I normally hold my speed down in the low 70's just because I am paranoid about the red car factor, but this was on a long downgrade and my cruise control is broken. Anyway, I think 78 in the fast lane in my black Honda Accord would not get a ticket under the same circumstances. Oh, the officer was not exactly a Porsche fan - he got me for tinted front windows to boot.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:44 AM
Mark Buka
Instructor

I don't think generalities apply to being pulled over. It's just how the trooper feels at the moment. Recently, I was pulled over(guards red C4S) in a 55mph zone. Conversation went like this:

O: Do you know why I stopped you?

M: Yes, officer, I was speeding.

O: (puzzled looking) Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

M: Yes, at least 80, officer.

O: More like 85. Wait in the car.

O: I've issued you a warning, try and keep it under 65. Have a good night.

M: Thank you and happy Thanksgiving.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:31 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Smile

I have never been pulled over in my porsche. Lucky...maybe... but when I got rid of my radar detector 5 years ago I never got another ticket. I think I trusted it too much!
Old 06-05-2001, 01:36 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Pete:
<STRONG>

Maybe it's time to change, or at least be more careful?</STRONG>
Two questions, Pete: 1) Why change? I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts in my situation, and; 2) Be more careful than what? If you mean, "more careful than I have been", I would have to ask how you know just how careful I've been. My memory isn't what it once was, but I don't remember you ever riding with me, so I'm wondering how you can accurately judge my carefulosity. You, by chance, aren't one of those who equate speed with danger, are you? "Anyone who drives slower than me is an idiot, and anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac!" If so, then my advice to you would be to keep slowing down until you're perfectly safe.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: DJ ]
Old 06-05-2001, 02:19 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

I've been pulled over three times in my car. Twice I was not written a ticket (though I was clearly speeding both times). The third time I got written a ticket (91 mph headed up to Lake Tahoe). Fought that one and won BTW I don't feel unduly picked on.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:37 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DJ:
[QB]
You, by chance, aren't one of those who equate speed with danger, are you? "Anyone who drives slower than me is an idiot, and anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac!" If so, then my advice to you would be to keep slowing down until you're perfectly safe.

[QB]
Love it!

I've sometimes observed that staying at home 24x7 isn't safe, either - most accidents happen in the home! There's always a rubber room...
Old 06-05-2001, 05:58 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>

Two questions, Pete: 1) Why change? I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts in my situation, and; 2) Be more careful than what? If you mean, "more careful than I have been", I would have to ask how you know just how careful I've been. My memory isn't what it once was, but I don't remember you ever riding with me, so I'm wondering how you can accurately judge my carefulosity. You, by chance, aren't one of those who equate speed with danger, are you? "Anyone who drives slower than me is an idiot, and anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac!" If so, then my advice to you would be to keep slowing down until you're perfectly safe.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: DJ ]</STRONG>
Assumptions, assumptions.

Being more careful doesn't necessarily refer to the way you are driving your car. I meant you might want to "be more careful" about where you speed, how you speed, and pay more attention to your surroundings (i.e. keep a better "cop watch").

Your post was quite ironic, hence my response.

Pete
Old 06-05-2001, 06:26 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Pete:
<STRONG>

I meant you might want to "be more careful" about where you speed, how you speed, and pay more attention to your surroundings (i.e. keep a better "cop watch").

Your post was quite ironic, hence my response.

Pete</STRONG>
I am very careful about where I speed: I only speed where I drive. I am very careful about how I speed: I only speed in a safe & sane manner. I am very adept at paying attention to my surroundings.

I like to speed. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel superior, probably about the same as you feel when you make pedantic, nursemaidish posts that serve no purpose other than to inflate your ego, and assuage your feelings of inadequacy.

Your post was quite asinine, hence my response.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:50 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>

I am very careful about where I speed: I only speed where I drive. I am very careful about how I speed: I only speed in a safe & sane manner. I am very adept at paying attention to my surroundings.

I like to speed. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel superior, probably about the same as you feel when you make pedantic, nursemaidish posts that serve no purpose other than to inflate your ego, and assuage your feelings of inadequacy.

Your post was quite asinine, hence my response.</STRONG>
Now that wasn't very "Christian," was it DJ? Ah, the hypocrsiy.

I'm sorry that you're so insecure that you can't see the irony in your original post. It takes a secure person to laugh at themselves.

That original irony pales in comparison to this more recent quote"

"I am very adept at paying attention to my surroundings."

Then why so many tickets?

Pete

p.s. "I only speed in a safe & sane manner" Hmmmm, that reminds me of a certain incident involving a splatter motif C4S at Laguna. But Todd's already discussed that with you. Nevermind.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:14 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Angry

DJ,

Point well taken, but here is my history:
2 Tickets in Suburban (recently!) - 2 times pulled over
1 Ticket in Chevy Cavalier (rental) - photo ticket, doesn't count
1 Ticket in my C2 Turbo - 2 times pulled over
0 tickets in my other cars (E55, 356, 996tt, 993tt) - 2 times pulled over

I am more likely to get a ticket in my suburban!!!

Quick Reply: More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?