Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM
rick993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd most important thing

Hello all
The second most important thing I did after buying my car was to become a Rennlist Member. (Long ago passed out my "nice porsche" cards to the first 3 911's I came across) While I bought 1995 with 27k in August 2003, I am just now starting to get more involved into the nuts and bolts of this supremely engineered car. And hence, now my 2nd post!
After running the M codes on the p-car site I have afew questions regarding the distinctions of porsche nomenclature. I have "sport type running gear", locking differential with limited slip, the hard back recaro sport seats and 18' speedline rims. Wouldn't this be considered an "S"?
Also what's the difference between C-2 and a Carrera?
Does the C-2 indicate the limited slip? Then wouldn't my wild black vixen be a "C-2 S"? Then how come she only has "Carrera" on her phat butt?
Also found this in the bonnet and a mic? under the glove box, any ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2004, 02:23 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I can answer only a few of your questions. The "S" model (C4S and C2S) was not made in 1995 (or 1996, I think). It indicates that the normal C2 (2wd) or C4 (AWD) chassis is buried beneath the wider "Turbo" bodywork. In the case of the C4S, it also came with the "big red" Turbo brakes as standard equipment. While your car may appear to be a fat-butt, it is actually a "narrow" or standard body, when compared to an "S" or turbo body. You have some very nice options on your C2, but it isn't a C2S.

That photo appears to be a PacTel "Lojack" type of device, which can help the police recover your car if its stolen. To make it work, you'd have to find some sort of an ID, so it could be activated. Perhaps a trip to your local police or sheriff station could be useful.

I hope this is accurate and helpful. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Hi Rick:

Porsche uses the S designation for widebody (aka turbo-bodies) 993s...you have a lot of nice options, but you car is a Carrera. C2 was actually the nomenclature used on 964 generation cars, to destinguish them from awd models or C4s. People still use that as slang for a rwd car, so you do have a C2.

That is a Lojack or similar unit. Used to find your car should it ever be stolen. With your VIN the local police can activate a beacon and find the car.

Edit: Steve--96 (late 95 production sold in the USA) was the first year for the C4S turbo bodied awd car.

Happy motoring
Old 02-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Chris said, you have a Carrera. "Carrera 2" was the official model for the rear-drive 964, but the 993 went back to simply "Carrera," though they are usually referred to here as a "C2" for clarification.

The C4S was introduced as a '96 model, as was the Turbo. The C4 was discontinued in the US for '97. The Carrera S (C2S) was introduced as a '97 model. In '98, there were no standard-bodied Carrera Coupes.

Quick Reply: 2nd most important thing