Sponsored by:

Seat rail loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 PM
krb5137
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Seat rail loose

Hoping to get some genius guidance on this one... the right side rail of my drivers seat is a bit loose. I’m talking about the W shaped rail that slides along the larger rail to allow the seat to move forward and backward. There is just enough play to make it super annoying when driving. Is this a common problem? Do the bearings that roll around between the two metal parts wear out? Hoping to get some great thoughts on how to fix this one... I am not even sure how to remove the sliding rail from the race. Once you get to the forward or backward extents of the seat adjustment, it obviously stops moving. Can’t find any way to release it further to remove it.

By the way, this is not the standard nylon washer issue. I have manual forward adjustment seats, not the screw drive. Definitely a rail movement issue on my seat.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Have you removed the seat recently? It is easy to put the seat back in with one rail an increment forward or backward of the other. This can cause the release mechanism arm that crosses between the rails to come up a little short causing the position lock on one side to not engage. This can allow one side to remain free-floating backwards and forwards.
Whatever the issue is once you remove the seat the cause of your problem will be self-evident, and likely easy to fix without the need for parts.
A great DIY opportunity!
Andy
Old 12-05-2019, 07:30 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Crimp it tighter with pliers. Put a rag on it first so it doesn't score the metal. The top part of the slider that moves along the W
between the seat and bottom rail needs to have less play. Small increments at a time. Rechecking the play.
You don't want to clamp down to much to the point the seat won't slide on the rail smoothly. I did it to a set of Recaro rails
back in the day that had play like you said. Worked great.

Last edited by 911F1; 12-05-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM
krb5137
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

And there we go - the solution I couldn’t come up with.

thanks!

Originally Posted by 911F1
Crimp it tighter with pliers. Put a rag on it first so it doesn't score the metal. The top part of the slider that moves along the W
between the seat and bottom rail needs to have less play. Small increments at a time. Rechecking the play.
You don't want to clamp down to much to the point the seat won't slide on the rail smoothly. I did it to a set of Recaro rails
back in the day that had play like you said. Worked great.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (12-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Seat rail loose