993 Forum 1995-1998

Don Rosen 95 Coupe - $33k thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 02:23 AM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm trying to avoid the tom & jerry move

The problem is making a deal with a pregnant wife. She wants us to buy a house first, I need a car...you can see where this is going! I just need to be patient.

Old 02-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Patrick,

I live in St. Davids, just off the Villanova/Rte 30 exit on 476. Give me a buzz at 215-519-5677 if you want me to go check the car out on Sat. with you. Having owned a '95 for almost a year now, I can help review the car with you.

As for the house, I got the 993 first, and now house hunting in the mainline. Unfortunately, the "starter" house out here, though not quite in the same league as the SF bay area, is still starting to make my very affordable 993, not quite affordable any longer (though you'll have to pry the keys from my dead body before I'll sell it!)
Old 02-28-2004, 07:51 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Patrick,

You might remind your wife that you can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house!

Al
Old 02-28-2004, 08:51 AM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Patrick,

Buying from a dealer and buying from an individual is the same; know the relative value of the car and know how much you are willing to spend. If by means of negotiation you are able to buy the car for less, you win, saving money is just like making money. Both types can be motivated sellers, they are generally faced with the reality it is a lot of work to sell a car and it's expensive. The longer the car is advertised, the more it costs to sell. A car that has been on the block a while is an invitation to a potential bargin. When negotiating with a car dealer plan on spending most of the day there. Take your time, get the sales people involved, ask many questions, go for a long drive, ask to see the car on a lift, talk to a mechanic, study the cars service history. When the negotiations begin counteroffer with the wholesale value or slightly less. Then, remain calm and confident, just plan on sitting on that number putting them in the position of raising the price rather than you lowering the asking price. A car dealer will rarely resist letting you walk out the door if they sense you are a buyer especially when they have so much time invested in the sale. Time is on your side......sit tight in the showroom, remain confident. As the afternoon drones on they will accept your offer or a compromise slightly higher. Voila'!! You just bought a car at wholesale.

zffnhsn
Old 02-28-2004, 10:52 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts

Friendly advice: Know your priorities...and your wife. Put her needs first, and you get an even better car out of the deal down the line...

sean
Old 02-28-2004, 11:54 AM
williet1342
Pro

Angry I'd be careful....

If you're dealing with Don Rosen Imports I'd be careful. The salesman who I dealt with there was Bill Rawlings. He is a snake. He grossly misrepresented the car and have the paper trail to prove it. (So bring it on, Bill). I also heard that he was offered the lead role in the "Devils Advocate" movie from a few years ago, but was edged out by Al Pachino. But this was just a rumor.
Thats not to say his mother doesn't think he's a great guy.
If you buy from a dealership (even with a 3nd party PPI etc...) listen to this:

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS "PORSCHE CERTIFIED" I did and it saved me. I also must say that Porsche of North America stepped up and did the right thing, in my case and I've heard of others. But why even go there?

RUN.
Another p-car will find you, or you will find it.

Cheers from a proud 993 owner who "ain't scared" to tell it like it is.

Morning Bill......

Old 02-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Default So I went by Holt's today

I met the owner Tim and a guy that works there Steve. Nice guys...really clean cars. I'll probably be going back later this week to poke around somemore.
My wife is cool with me getting the car, we just to not go crazy (mods) until after we buy a place. She is still teazing me about getting a babyseat in the back...
Thanks again for the advice and feedback.
-PK
Old 02-29-2004, 05:35 AM
LegoDoom
Instructor

Did they still have the adventurine green C2? How was it?
Old 02-29-2004, 07:21 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Patrick,

Go slow and heed zffnhns' advice. Don't commit without (minimally) a PPI from a well recognized shop. It can be the best investment you make toward purchasing the car. And even though you don't plan upgrades, make sure you have squirrelled away some money for repairs should they come to be. The possible upkeep isn't for the faint of heart or wallet.

Best of luck.

Al
Old 02-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Hi Patrick,
I also work in Newtown Square about a mile from Brandywine. Did you visit Tim at Holt motorsports?
Tom
95, 993
Old 02-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experiences with Rosen years ago have brought me to the conclusion that I should stay away from them at all costs.

Worst dealer on the East Coast. Bad service, rude employees, horrible techs, worse managers.

Words cannot describe the 'work' they did on my first P-car. To give you an idea of the severity of their screw ups, I was seriously considering legal action for reimbursement.

Youve been warned.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Don'y worry, I'm not buying anything unless a ppi is clean! I'm going to back to look and drive one. My one hesitation is that they are on the upper end of the price range (cars are also on the upper end for used cars) and I do plan on mod'ing the car after we buy a house. This will be a daily, but also something that I'll DE and stuff. suspension, wheels and brakes will be the first to change...
Holt actually has 2 green cars and a couple of grey (one with maroon interior). They have a very clean grey turbo also (I wish!).

Tom- I meet both Tim & Steve @ Holts. Both really nice guys considering they close @ 4 on Sundays and we didn't get there utill 5. We should grab lunch some time, I'd love to see your car and pick up some tips...
-PK

Quick Reply: Don Rosen 95 Coupe - $33k thoughts?