Sponsored by:

Do you tip your mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
In some countries whether its in a restaurant or service sector, tips are not accepted. In fact the practice is seen as an insult.
I agree. I am writing my post from America. Tipping to the contrary, is expected and appreciated. Tipping in the U.S. is not illegal unless you tip a governmental employee. And if you do tip a governmental employee, you will have wished that you didn't. There are other instances in the U.S. in which tipping is illegal, but tipping your mechanic is not illegal.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:40 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
I agree. I am writing my post from America. Tipping to the contrary, is expected and appreciated. Tipping in the U.S. is not illegal unless you tip a governmental employee. And if you do tip a governmental employee, you will have wished that you didn't. There are other instances in the U.S. in which tipping is illegal, but tipping your mechanic is not illegal.
I tip my Postman yearly. Hope she doesn't turn me in!

True story - as a salesguy, taking customers out to lunch or dinner is normal. Some customers are adamant about not accepting the free meal (company policy), which is fine with me. Of course government employees are not supposed to accept either. The one exception - NSA guys always will take the free meal, and beer at lunch is expected.

YMMV

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
M561 (retired)
Old 12-04-2019, 04:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Yeah, but don't you take your 993 to a Porsche dealership for service?

Water is only as good as the well you draw it from
Old 12-04-2019, 10:30 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yeah, but don't you take your 993 to a Porsche dealership for service?

Water is only as good as the well you draw it from
Absolutely! And, I always reward the service manager, service advisor(s) and the mechanic that has serviced my car since new. The service manager always declines my offers citing appreciation of my business and loyalty over the years. Additionally, the service manager is an Oldsmobile 442 enthusiast. The service advisor(s) and mechanic are most appreciative which makes me feel great.

Regarding water is only as good as the well you draw it from, I don't understand the meaning.....
My response is intended respectfully.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

I’ve never tipped with cash, but a tray of Italian pastries or cookies at holiday time is always well received at my BMW service center.

Quick Reply: Do you tip your mechanic?