Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Praise of Replacing Engine Mounts! - (Advice for Tip Owners, Too!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 03:43 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default In Praise of Replacing Engine Mounts! - (Advice for Tip Owners, Too!)

A note of thanks to all those who've posted here about the wisdom of changing mounts "just because they're old." I finally heeded the advice and can't believe the difference. Especially the improvement in shifting smoothness of my Tiptronic box. My car has 78K miles and no noticeable (to me,) issues with the original mounts - e.g. seriously sagging tail pipes, but apparently those had been adjusted previously because my engine now is about .75 inches higher.

What I've now figured out is that on every shift the back of the engine was moving up and down enough to make the shift very "lurchy." Since this is my first Tip, I assumed that was normal. Now it feels like a completely different car. And you can barely notice the (previously very noticeable) torque converter lock up action. And what's more, the ride over bumps is much better without the several hundred pound engine flopping up and down.

So far, in addition to new tires and front lower control arm bushings, this has been the most satisfying and high impact investment.

Ron
Old 11-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Great news- thanks. Just about to do mine too .

Quick Reply: In Praise of Replacing Engine Mounts! - (Advice for Tip Owners, Too!)