Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 12:04 PM
grungyspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Log in and log out

John D. I signed up and made the switch yesterday and really like the new format. Thanks again.

My question is: I noticed that when I pulled up the site today I was already logged in. I must have forgotten to log out yesterday. Is there any way to set my preferences so I log out when I close my browser.

I know... I know... its easy to just click log out, but I'm a lame brain and forget.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:12 PM
Chris Rose
4th Gear

Smile

Grungy,

You are still logged in because of a cookie (I believe) that is placed on your machine. It will remember who you are as long as you use the same machine.

You could either log out, or you could set your machine to not accept any cookies and you should have to log in every time.

that should be pretty close to being accurate

Chris
Old 06-01-2001, 12:17 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

That is the "cookie" feature. The web site remembers who you are and logs you in automatically when you load the page.

For more information abot "cookie" click below

What to know about "cookie"?
Old 06-01-2001, 12:17 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi Grungy..!

WOW - you are the first to notice that - congrats!!!

What I programmed into what are called the "cookies" (they remember your name, posts you have viewed, etc.) is something called "persistient" cookies. In other words - until you log off manually, you are always "logged in". In that way - th biggest burden of this Board is lifted (having to enter/remember your passward every darned time you want to post)...

Also - really nothing is accomplished by forcing folks to logging in each time. In other words - since EACH username, e-mail, login name is unique to every person - no one can log in as you. Also, you do NOT need to LOG OFF to log in from another browser session!!! (For example - you do NOT need to log off from your office system if you want to visit the Board from your house - the system WILL allow multiple "instances" of you to exist on the Board at the same time..).

Anyway - nope - I don't want to force "log offs" as most Boards do - as I think many other folks would object by having to re-login every time they want to post...

As always - I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments back on how to improve any of this though!!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 12:22 PM
grungyspeed
Instructor

Talking

Thanks John, and all...

I wanted to make sure I could log on at home if I forgot to log off at the office...It is definately easier not to have to log in every time I open the site.

Thanks again..

Quick Reply: Log in and log out