Sponsored by:

Sensitive horn pad

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:02 AM
D. G.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sensitive horn pad

My horn has become increasingly sensitive to the point where it self activates under firm braking.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not going to start tinkering with it, but I thought I'd see if there was a simple cure before I take it to the $$Dealer$$.

Thanks,
David

BTW, 'firm braking' does not mean ABS has kicked in!!
Old 05-06-2002, 05:03 AM
993C4
Instructor

DG,

You're not alone. This is a common symtom on boxsters and 993s especially with age. There is an aluminium plate inside your steering wheel and on each of the 4 corners there is a small rubber o-ring type material. The rubber o-ring is worn and when your car hits a bump or if the car is subject to hard braking, the plate hits the contact point and activates the horn. unfortunately the o-rings cannot be replaced. You have to change the entire aluminium plate (here in singapore, it cost about S$150 or US$85 equivalent). It's hard to describe it without any pictures but it's not something to loose sleep over. It pretty easy to replace (15min job) but you need the right tools to remove the face of your steering wheel (part where you depress your horn).

993C4 Cab
Old 05-10-2002, 05:46 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have a part number or anything to describe that part??? I have a 95 993 doing the same thing. Damned embarrassing, actually.
Thanks,
Old 05-10-2002, 07:15 PM
D. G.
Track Day

The service advisor at my local Dealer told me that this is a diy. He said you can remove the face plate by gently pulling it from the top, and from there it is simple.

I pulled as hard as I feel comfortable with and it didn't budge. I tried gently depressing the two tabs under the top of the pad with the blade of a screwdriver while pulling on the cover. No help.

I scheduled an appointment to have them do it. It will be interesting to see how many shop hours they charge me for this '15 minute' job...

D.G.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:06 AM
993C4
Instructor

DG

[quote] <hr></blockquote>bDWGHw

Your local dealer is incorrect. When I replaced my wife's boxster's horn pad, I had to remove 2 allen screws from the back of the steering wheel. Once this horn pad is removed, you can see 2 things, airbag and the aluminium plate. Unplug the airbag and unscrew the aluminium plate from the steering. That's it.

I believe it is the same for our 993s. Pull any harder you might damage your horn pad.

993C4 Cab

Quick Reply: Sensitive horn pad