Rear brake line and concern for rust

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM
jcgalvezv
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear brake line and concern for rust

Hi all;
I went over some debris and got a flat tire. But whatever I went over, scratch the inner side of the wall, see pictures and also managed to scratch the surface of what I think is the brake line. So I already order a new brake line and planning on replacing it, the question is, should I be concern about the area of the wall that is scratched? Can that rust? Is there a coating that I can apply on top of it? Or should I be ok? And also, how thick those brake lines are? looking at that scratch, can it open at any time?

Thank you very much

1996 Targa

k

Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

If the lines are not solid rubber as the OE lines are then the outer jacket is to protect an inner hose that actually holds pressure. The rubber washer next to the worn area is probably intended to act s a stand-off so the brake hose doesn't get abraded. I would slide the rubber washer over the abraded part of the line and put wrap some electrical tape on each side of it to pin it into position until you replace it.

If the scratch bothers you I would clean it and spray it with a little black paint and once dry hit it with a little rubberized undercoating. Just a little dab will do ya'.

Andy
The following users liked this post:
jcgalvezv (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 12:47 PM
jcgalvezv
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much Andy!
It is a flexible rubber line, so what you are saying is that what is scratched from the line is just the rubber covering the line itself.

Thank you again
Old 11-13-2019, 02:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcgalvezv
It is a flexible rubber line, so what you are saying is that what is scratched from the line is just the rubber covering the line itself

Thank you again
If the line is original to the car it is a solid rubber hose that is over 22 years old and if damaged as shown in your picture replacing it should be considered.
If it is an aftermarket hose with a rubber or plastic sheath over an internal pressure hose the abrasion is not such a big deal and should be protected with the rubber washer/spacer going forward.

If original to your car replacing all 4 rubber hoses with braided hoses will substantially improve the feel of your brakes. One of the easiest and most rewarding DIY upgrades one can do to a 993.
I seem to recall a set of hoses is about $50 or less, the 4 hoses, two wrenches, pressure bleeder will add up to a little over $100 and replacing the hoses is a very easy DIY project, I recall I used Centric Brand hoses as I know the guys there.
Just make sure you purchase DOT approved hoses with the crimped end fittings, not the racing variety and use very high-quality hydraulic fitting wrenches, Snap-On or the better line of Craftsmen or similar to break the hose fittings loose as an inexpensive wrench's head flexes and will distort the fittings before they come loose. prompting the unnecessary and aggravating replacement of hard parts.
You will need to bleed the brakes after replacing the hoses. I purchased an inexpensive pressure bleeder that is attached in place of the brake reservoir cap making the bleed a one-man job.
Andy
jcgalvezv (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM
jcgalvezv
Rennlist Member

Awesome, thank you again!
Old 11-13-2019, 02:58 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

It is a flexible rubber line, so what you are saying is that what is scratched from the line is just the rubber covering the line itself.

Thank you again
based on the pic, it looks like an orig factory line. I'd replace the line before putting car back into use.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:48 PM
jcgalvezv
Rennlist Member

I was wondering how to know if it was original or not.
thank you
Old 11-15-2019, 08:51 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was wondering how to know if it was original or not.
thank you
After a closer inspection of your picture, it looks like rubber, not a vinyl or a plastic sheath covering so I would assume it is original. The hose also looks like it is a little wet or oily. This could suggest it has already begun to fail. If this is the case it can precipitously progress to total failure with no notice so I would go ahead and replace this hose and check the others before taking the car back on the road as suggested above.
Andy
Old 11-15-2019, 10:32 AM
jcgalvezv
Rennlist Member

Yes, I went over all documentations and even contacted the previous owner, they are original lines, already ordered a set of 4 from pelican parts. I’m going for ATE OEM lines. I did clean the line with water to inspect it, so that is why looks wet, is not leaking but I’m not driving the car until I replaced the lines. Planning to do it next week. Never done it but will do it with a friend and following the steps that I found on rennlist and pelican website.
Thank you for the help! This forum is awesome!

Juan Carlos.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:24 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, I went over all documentations and even contacted the previous owner, they are original lines, already ordered a set of 4 from pelican parts. I’m going for ATE OEM lines. I did clean the line with water to inspect it, so that is why looks wet, is not leaking but I’m not driving the car until I replaced the lines. Planning to do it next week. Never done it but will do it with a friend and following the steps that I found on rennlist and pelican website.
Thank you for the help! This forum is awesome!

Juan Carlos.
Great, if you give the fittings a shot of penetrating oil spray and letting them sit overnight it may help, although you shouldn't expect any issues. Really good wrenches are the key to a completely trouble-free job.
jcgalvezv (11-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Rear brake line and concern for rust