Sponsored by:

One Armed Windshield Wiper for 993 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:36 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default One Armed Windshield Wiper for 993 ?

I am at the bank drive thru yesterday in the C4S. The teller..(quite the cutie I might add) says...." Jeez Keith...for such a small windshield on your car...why do you need two windshield wipers ?" UUMM...AAHHH....Well...HHMMM...good question cutie.....just give me my money and pipe down !!!

As it stands the driver's side wiper leaves the lower corner untouched...even after bending the wiper to assist in the contour of the windshield line.

A friend of mine has a '91 Mercedes 500E...(nice car!!) windshield size must be 2.5x's that of the 993. Yet, he has ONE windshield arm that covers the entire surface. In fact, Porsche engineers where involved in the development of this car !!!

Now I am not fretting any "windshield envy" here...but it seems to me the boys in Stuttgart may have missed this one.

Weight Savings
Cost of Production/Savings materials

I highly doubt any kits are out there to retrofit such a product...but if one was available....I'd certainly buy it !!!

Just my .02c
Old 02-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always been intrigued by the Mercedes one-arm wiper. My guess as to the reason more don't use it is either 1. patent protection or 2. cost.

I think the newer Mercedes are going back to a two wiper system, so maybe it is the cost of the articulated arm.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:59 PM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree that the pass. side wiper arm is unnecessary. My 1980 VW Scirocco (body by G. Giugiaro) got by with 1 just fine. I'm very tempted to remove it next time the blade wears out.

Quick Reply: One Armed Windshield Wiper for 993 ?