Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 993!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 10:10 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Congratulations and welcome! So glad this beauty has gone to a good home! Remember, we're here to help...and to help you spend your money!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:54 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Congratulations and welcome! So glad this beauty has gone to a good home! Remember, we're here to help...and to help you spend your money!
Hahaha thank you very much! The spending has already begun! Remains to be seen if it will ever end
Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 PM
TexasJake
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations! I became the 3rd owner of a 27k mile car in January 2018, love everything about the car.

from my short experience and the info on this site I would;
  • expect the lower valve cover gaskets to start leaking when you drive it more than it has been, the old ones will be dry and no longer pliable, so won’t seal well with the heat cycling. No big deal, if you are DIY, you can replace these yourself, parts and good info on Pelican Parts
  • if you don’t know how old the belts are, I would replace them to be safe
  • There is a cooling fan belt sensor that runs on the belt surface to warn you if the belt fails, I had replaced the belts already, but the little bearing in the sensor wheel failed recently at 30k, so you might consider replacing the sensor (about $120), if it fails and you don’t have a spare you will need a couple of tie wraps to hold it back until you get home, assuming it wasn’t the belt that failed,
  • either keep a spare DME relay in the car or replace it with a new one, as the old solder will eventually loosen up and this relay will leave you unable to start the car
Mine has been very reliable, just finished 900 mile round trip and have 31k now. I keep a few very specific tools in case of trouble, but it’s more for piece of mind than me expecting something to break.

I went with Fister 2s and very happy with them, tone is perfect and neighbors not bothered. Also put KW V3 to replace stock suspension. I’m happy with that but you should ride in one with stock and sport suspension to compare if it is what you want.

I’m happy to help if any questions, I’m still soaking up info myself every time time I fiddle with the car!
The following users liked this post:
kertong (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

That is awesome advice TexasJake! Thank you very much!
Old 10-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

You are so lucky! Exactly the options (sunroof + rear wiper) / color (black) / engine (varioram) of my ideal 993! Congrats!!!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Congratz!
Lovely car.
Here is my master list of 993 things many new-to-993 folks find it useful.
Andy's List

Best regards,
Andy
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
Enso (10-28-2019), TexasJake (11-02-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:49 PM
unicorn2
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Excellent 993. I did all of those mods you are wanting to do and it made a huge improvement for my 993 as well. I too am partial on the Cup 2 wheels and love the look on these NB cars.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:07 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Watson
You are so lucky! Exactly the options (sunroof + rear wiper) / color (black) / engine (varioram) of my ideal 993! Congrats!!!
Thanks! Mine doesn’t have a rear wiper but it’s close enough!

Originally Posted by pp000830
Congratz!
Lovely car.
Here is my master list of 993 things many new-to-993 folks find it useful.
Andy's List

Best regards,
Andy
Thank you! That list looks like a great resource. Thanks for sharing it!

Originally Posted by unicorn2
Excellent 993. I did all of those mods you are wanting to do and it made a huge improvement for my 993 as well. I too am partial on the Cup 2 wheels and love the look on these NB cars.
Thank you! Appreciate the support for my mod list and the Cup 2’s
Old 10-29-2019, 01:44 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Congrats on getting your hands on a beautiful car. I love the black over tan. The interior looks to be in near perfect condition.
After searching for a couple of years, this past march I purchased a'95' polar silver/black full leather 993 with 17,500 miles. The advice I got was to do absolutely nothing but drive it over the course of the summer and see how it went. Well.... 2,000 miles later and the car has been perfect. I need a few interior bulbs, and the suspension feels a little loose north of 100 mph. I'm going to start picking away at things now that the "off season" is rapidly approaching. Fister II exhaust, the goldenrod/rs short shift and suspension bits are going to be first on the list. My car was delivered with '16 inch rims. They looked really weak. I purchased a set of OEM cup II's in pretty good shape. They made a huge difference in the overall look of the car. I'm going to have them restored to the original paint and clear coat and put some new Michelins on it before spring. I may do a second set of BBS rims/tires but the cup II's will always be there to trade off. I don't think the twists were Porsche's best effort as it always bothers me that the left and right side of the car looks different. Just me. You will be surprised at how you change your mind. The car is in great shape and is new to you. Give it time. Get familiar with it. It is definitely an old soul, lol. Older than its 1996 build date would suggest. You purchased a 1960's icon that had been massaged for twenty something years. I owned an '87 944s. In many ways, my '95 Carrerra feels older than that car. Drive it in good health.

Quick Reply: My new 993!