SECONDARY AIR

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:58 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
What? You did answer, and it was incorrect. It's been known for years that '95 993s don't experience CELs because of clogged SAIs.

Just a thought, but maybe, just maybe, shotgunning every answer isn't the best approach to helping people, especially for the new folks here who are relying on more senior members for accurate assistance.
Thank you for answering the question the original poster and I asked above.
I disagree, with the characterization of my posting as being "shotgunned" its major intent was to point out the considerable consequences of removing emission components from a vehicle. Many here are quick to modify their cars in ways that they may regret in the long run, Not only is the light being on or off a minor issue, related to my experience being with a '96, and with your reply and my thanks I stand corrected resulting in a proper understanding by others. But the concept of the clogging of the injector ports and a potentially expensive consequential issue for some owners, especially the OBDCII cars, that may result is a valid discussion issue and one I have not seen discussed in these pages previously.
Isn't the purpose of these boards to develop and enhance a common understanding of how these cars work and through discussion we as a group become more knowledgeable owners?
If we all had a perfect understanding of how these cars work would there be any point in having these discussions at all?
I always appreciate comments on my postings interesting, and at times insightful and entertaining, yours as well.
Best regards,
Andy
The following users liked this post:
gregorytate (09-24-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 02:13 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The SAI system is a critical part of the 993 emission control system. IMO if it is operating correctly it should be retained. Clean air is good.

For the catalytic converter to operate effectively it needs to be above about 800 degrees. On cold start the ECU adjusts the fuel trim rich which drives some unburned fuel into the exhaust. The secondary air pump comes on pumping fresh air into the hot, fuel rich, exhaust. The unburned fuel combines with the oxygen from the SAI and burns in the catalytic converter heating the cat to operating temperature. If the SAI is disabled the rich fuel mixture on cold start just goes out the tailpipe. On cold days or short trips the cat may not heat to operating temperature and significantly higher levels of unburned hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, and carbon monoxide.

Given most 993s are not driven daily and the cost to repair the SAI is very high the decision to repair it if it is not functioning correctly ... . Well, there is probably a more cost effective way to offset your personal environmental footprint.

Last edited by hoggel; 09-21-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
If I do the sai block off plates will that trigger any codes in my '97 ecu?
Is like to know this as well. When the time comes, I'd love to remove the whole thing on my 96.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
If I do the sai block off plates will that trigger any codes in my '97 ecu?
Yes. 1996 and later cars check the function of the SAI system automatically. If that check fails, the ECU will throw codes and illuminate the CEL.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Thank you for answering the question the original poster and I asked above.
I disagree, with the characterization of my posting as being "shotgunned" its major intent was to point out the considerable consequences of removing emission components from a vehicle. Many here are quick to modify their cars in ways that they may regret in the long run, Not only is the light being on or off a minor issue, related to my experience being with a '96, and with your reply and my thanks I stand corrected resulting in a proper understanding by others. But the concept of the clogging of the injector ports and a potentially expensive consequential issue for some owners, especially the OBDCII cars, that may result is a valid discussion issue and one I have not seen discussed in these pages previously.
Isn't the purpose of these boards to develop and enhance a common understanding of how these cars work and through discussion we as a group become more knowledgeable owners?
If we all had a perfect understanding of how these cars work would there be any point in having these discussions at all?
I always appreciate comments on my postings interesting, and at times insightful and entertaining, yours as well.
Best regards,
Andy
Andy,

This is not just a discussion board, but it's a technical discussion board. The OP started a technical discussion and expects technical replies.

This is shotgunning answers:

You posted this in response to the OP's 1995 993 SAI issues:
the annoying light on your dash will remain on.

The OP asked a good question by questioning your statement:
Originally Posted by IHTFP
Does the 95 (OBD1) have a dash light for the SAI?

Your answer is "Maybe not, I can't answer that"? If you don’t know the answer, then why make your statement in the first place? Shotgunning.
Maybe not, I can't answer that.

You also posted this reply in another recent thread regarding adjusting seat height:
I would think the major forces at play in a frontal crash would be against the seat belts that are mored to the body, not the seats.

tstafford corrected you; the female, seat belt release button portion is attached to the seat and has been attached to the 911's seat going back to at least the 1970s. Shotgunning.
Originally Posted by tstafford
Not to argue with you, but half the seat belt is mored to the seat. The part the buckle inserts in to is attached to the inside side of the seat with a nut. I know this from just installing sport seats.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...side-seat.html

Bob Rouleau has previously PM'd you and stated that moderators try to make sure that technical topics are as factual as possible and devoid of extraneous material so that people who are looking for answers have "clean and accurate" solutions.

To be fair, many of your replies are definitely correct, but you do have a history of supplying untrue information, with quite a number of your replies having been withdrawn by you once you've been corrected. As I've written to you before, it's really great that you're trying to be helpful, but you do need to ensure that your tech replies are 100% precise. Quality over quantity should be the key phrase here; many inexperienced owners are relying on all of us for valid information and may associate frequency of replies with technical prowess.

Apologies for the threadjack.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mark in Baltimore:
bobboinski (09-22-2019), ed devinney (09-22-2019), geldgrube (09-23-2019), IHTFP (09-24-2019), Sandia man (09-24-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

A personal observation. The system blows air into a longitudinal gallery drilled into the camshaft housings that leads to smaller galleries that lead to the exhaust ports. As stated here above '95 OBD 1 cars don't throw a check engine light when SAI is inoperative. Since this is the case, a '95 may go a long time without SAI service and the entire system will become plugged with exhaust residue during that time. And I mean plugged as in like rock.

When rebuilt, I found that my '95 engine had all these galleries plugged and they probably had been so for years. So, having a fully functional system in a '95 could be an expensive proposition if the system is plugged as mine was and the engine needs a tear down to the cylinder heads. If it needs a new pump added to the bill, Air Pump 993.624.103.01 is $1375 at a Sunset discount.

Potentially a lot of money for a system to operate that works for 3 minutes after start up in a car that is not a daily driver so may be started infrequently anyway.

Quick Reply: SECONDARY AIR