Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: How to do Removable Rod Birch Subwoofers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:42 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 163 Posts
Thumbs up DIY: How to do Removable Rod Birch Subwoofers...

Well gang,

I finally got around to this little project today. But before I start, let me say that Rod Birch makes some of the finest products available on the market...and he's great to work with to boot !! This DIY will hopefully help many of you who (like me) needed to have some sort of way to rapidly remove the Subs, and restor a fully functional back seat.

In my case, I'd had the RB subs for about 9 months when I noticed that I had a serious leak in the passenger's rear footwell. Unfortunately, this was coming from the holes I'd drilled in the sheetmetal to mount the subs. So I pulled them, and had my body shop fill the holes with epoxy resin.

Not wanting to re-drill holes in the resin, I resolved to find a way to mount the subs such that I could avoid the metalwork, yet still have a nice secure enclosure...

...enter the fateful trip to Costco yesterday where my wife spotted some industrial-strength Velcro with 3M Ultra adhesive...

So without much futher ado, here is a link to the web-page I've put up for the DIY:

http://homepage.mac.com/saspicer/PhotoAlbum10.html

A couple of notes:

(1) Put the fuzzy carpet side down on the existing carpet -- it matches almost perfectly, and you can barely notice the difference in feel from the factory carpet.

(2) Score the strips you attach to the enclosure so that they round the curves nicely, you want a tight seal so that you can get that "tight bass"

(3) You may want to Velcro down your floor mats to the floor boards...this helped me cure a rattle and secure the enclosure even better...

(4) GO SLOW...as a flight instructor used to tell me "think fast, but no fast hands"...be patient and work like a craftman, and everything will come out great!

I'll answer any questions you have...here.

cheers ,

sean
Old 02-23-2004, 10:53 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks a lot for the post Sean! Just the other day I was searching the archives looking for options on mounting subs in a cab. I have the rear seat delete option in my car with a built-in sub. I would like undelete the rear seat delete option but want to keep the sub. This will work great! I may even try to fab the enclosures my self if I get enough time to do it.

swmic
Old 02-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean, thanks for the DIY. I had Rod upgrade my system last year with everything except the subs because I used the car sometimes to drive my young boys around. Well now I have a daily driver to use for that, so the p-car can now get a boost in sound (wallet permitting, since it also needs new shocks etc).
Old 06-21-2004, 07:07 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean, sorry to call up such an old post, but I have to ask, do they do the velcro in different colours? I was weary about drilling into the metal both because of the possibility of a leak and subsiquently rust.

Is the velcro easy to remove altogether should I later decide to completely remove it perminantly, ie is there much residue?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:58 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old post, but I have just ordered my subs from Rod.

Sean, can you give some details of the products you used to mount the subs, the site with the pics is not on-line anymore. Was is seperate velcro and bonding tape or did you use sticky backed velcro tape? Also what width of tape works best?

Cheers

Quick Reply: DIY: How to do Removable Rod Birch Subwoofers...